New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

Congratulations! Sounds like it's fun to drive. That is great fuel economy, too, for a vehicle that size. It's a 3.5L, not the 3.7 as used in the F150, right?

I've seen a few new Explorers in red, white, black, and gray, and the Explorer really looks best in black, with gray a close second.

Enjoy!

Bob

The F150 uses the 3.7 as the base motor, but has the optional 3.5TT that's used in the Taurus SHO, Flex and Explorer Sport. The F150 also has a 5.0 and 6.2 V8 engine to choose from as well.

I agree that Black is the best looking;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new design has many good features, but my 92 has gotten me home through heavy snow and flooded streets. I'd like to see some video of the 5th gen in deep snow or going up and down snowy hills. So far the videos I've seen only deal with beach sand.

My experiences and the fact that many of our Explorers are very old attests to the fact that the older generations were indeed "built Ford tough". I don't think that a rebadged Taurus X would be as rugged.

I don't offroad or need to carry 7 passengers, but I like to fold down the seats and load in a snow blower or fill 'er up with camping gear. That could be done without making the vehicle so wide, as Ford did starting with the 3rd generation. (I suppose that making it wider was to deal with the rollover issues, but the 5th gen is even wider).

Bwana Bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRnD60zsgM

Hi Folks,
I'm interested in buying a new Sport...one small problem though, and thought someone here might know a little about this. I am having a problem with the height, and the lowing of the sport, although i understand why it has been lowered, i just can't get over the fact that it is this low. I love the size, and the power, but the height, i don't know? My question is, can the Sport be lifted, and raised to be a little taller, and how would you go about it, and what are your thoughts of doing so? Thanks!

Thanks VinceL. But a bit on the quailitative side , more than quantitative! Gonna wait
for a more complete test from the big guys. More to come.

MotorTrend just did a decent review on the SPORT

Hi Sgt, Just read it and you`re right, quite decent. 0-60 in 6 flat sounds real good but
it it a feeling or with a clock!? But the whole picture is just great , also noting that srt8
it`s not. I dont want a racer but a "GT" instead.
By the way it`s supposed to be my turn tomorrow to get my baby.Yesss!

Im pretty sure MotorTrend does all their vehicle test timing with a laser timing system as to minimize errors.

Hi Sgt, Just read it and you`re right, quite decent. 0-60 in 6 flat sounds real good but
it it a feeling or with a clock!? But the whole picture is just great , also noting that srt8
it`s not. I dont want a racer but a "GT" instead.
By the way it`s supposed to be my turn tomorrow to get my baby.Yesss!

In the little data chart it said estimated, and it sounded like they were using the quoted time by Ford.

Great video .....I concur, I had my Ex in snow several times and it crawled up hills and everywhere with no problems.
This is the road to big trucks. Lift height, 1,700 meters. Off-road.

In the little data chart it said estimated, and it sounded like they were using the quoted time by Ford.

So how are Ford's quoted times--conservative or optimistic? For comparison, Porsche reports "official" times that are slower than the mag tests.

Going to test drive and probably buy tomorrow. Performance shouldn't be much off our Cayenne S, however we will have a lot more space, which is key with 3 kids (the '03 Mountianeer is being sent to pasture at 163,000 miles).

Hi Folks,
I'm interested in buying a new Sport...one small problem though, and thought someone here might know a little about this. I am having a problem with the height, and the lowing of the sport, although i understand why it has been lowered, i just can't get over the fact that it is this low. I love the size, and the power, but the height, i don't know? My question is, can the Sport be lifted, and raised to be a little taller, and how would you go about it, and what are your thoughts of doing so? Thanks!

John:

Recall that the new Explorer is based on the Taurus X wagon. I read one article which stated that Ford added spacers to the sub frame to increase the ground clearance over the 5 inches of the Taurus X. Therefore, it might be possible to install taller spacers, but I think that the design work would best be left to one of the off-road design houses, so that wheel alignment, steering geometry, and handling would not be adversely affected. I don't think that any owners would attempt such a mod in a new vehicle. We may have to wait a few years for someone to to experiment with the Explorer.

Taller tires might fit, maybe one size bigger, at the most. What some have done (see the modified 2011+ forum) is to cut the front air dam to get a little more clearance. This will certainly help, since most of the new Explorers that I have seen here in NJ already have scrape marks on the edges of the dam. Making the cut should also be helpful in snow (hitting the mounds of hard-packed snow that the plows leave in driveways and at intersections might rip the air dam right off).

Some reviews show that the new Ex is capable of handing dirt roads and fire trails: http://www.ridelust.com/2011-ford-explorer-yes-it-goes-off-road-too/

Bob

Just got my wife an Explorer Sport, Tuxedo Black. Had it two weeks. Great car so far. Ill post up a thread soon.

D

I see some references to the color black. The true test of looks in a vehicle is how it looks painted white.

I have a hard time believing this heavy new thing with a little V6will get better mileage than the previous generation V8 I drive (worse in stop and go and high speed mix, 17.4). What are you-all getting?

Having owned a Explorer every two or three years since 1990, I was also very skepticle. This vehicle blows them all away in terms of performance handling and fuel economy. Utilizing the on board instant fuel economy graph and rpm performance economy curve, I average 18 to 20 mpg around town. I have also achieved 24 mpg on the highway on a three hundred mile trip. I have put 5K miles on it since October 2. This Explorer has its own personality. It is much like comparing the crown vic and the taurus. Two different vehicles and leaps and bounds ahead in technology. Two favorites before this; my 99 XLT with a 5.0 and my 03 Limited 4.6.
Last night we had 11 inches of snow. The sport was a bear in terrain management "snow mode".

Be careful if you have long legs and are accustomed to the previous generation Explorer. I sat in a fully loaded Sport (yes with 402A) at Tustin Ford today, after not liking the same-priced BMW X3, and the bottom seat cushion is way too short. I'm just 6' 1", but this is quite a serious flaw. My 5' 10" wife also found the seat completely inadequate. I'm no window shopper, but the seats were so bad I did not even bother to ask to drive it.

Hmm, been driving ours for over a month now coming out of an X5. Dont notice anything wrong with the seats...

D

I find the uncomfortable seat issue to be surprising.

The Explorer Limited Luxury Seats (302A or 402A) are probably the nicest seats I have sat on. I have driven on some long 48hrs non stop trips across Canada and the US without any fatigue.

Im comparing this to a previous GMC Yukon Denali and a Lexus ES 350, both not as nice to sit in over longer drives.

I keep the cabin air cool and have the seat heat on almost always unless its summer then I run A/C seats.

The seats are one thing I cannot complain about at all.

I've had my 2013 Explorer Sport just about a month now. I smile real big when I hit the throttle and my head snaps back from the acceleration! It has almost gotten away from me twice - torque steer? Don't care! It's just a blast to drive! I used to get cramped up quick in my '11 Durango, not so much in the Sport but the footwell area could be a little bigger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back