• Register Today It's free!

Why Won't Ford do This....?

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
Ok, Ford has made the Explorer in a "Sport" edition where they've upped the power, lowered the vehicle, and supposedly made a lumbering crossover SUV into a sports car. That's fine for folks who like that sort of thing, but I do not.

The Explorer started life as a capable off-road vehicle. The first 4 Explorers all did well off road, had good ground clearance and an actual low range transfer case. Why doesn't Ford come out with an Off-road version of the Explorer to compete with the Jeeps?

Give us about 1.5" more ground clearance, good off road, all terrain tires, and change that ridiculous "terrain management" system into an actual 4WD system with low range. Some folks need those capabilities and they have completely ignored us.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The original Explorer was body on frame, as most automakers, this design has been transitioned to a crossover uni-body. This is just the modern manufacturing standard outside of large SUV's such as the expedition. You can still get true on demand four wheel drive, it just wont be on an explorer. All Ford full size trucks & Expedition will give you the functionality you require.

I'd guess Ford did a survey and thought off roading wasn't a popular hobby with a 50K vehicle

The original Explorer was body on frame, as most automakers, this design has been transitioned to a crossover uni-body. This is just the modern manufacturing standard outside of large SUV's such as the expedition. You can still get true on demand four wheel drive, it just wont be on an explorer. All Ford full size trucks & Expedition will give you the functionality you require.

Mercedes ML and GL vehicles are unibody and can do anything a pre-2011 Explorer can do.

Then again the Mercedes all have Engines/Trannys setup like a RWD car with a true transfer case.

I'm still holding out hope for a Bronco return on the Raptor platform . . .

I'd guess Ford did a survey and thought off roading wasn't a popular hobby with a 50K vehicle

I'm sure Ford has priced a fully loaded Jeep JKU Rubicon. I saw one at the Jeep dealer that was $49K+ on the sticker. The dealer frequently sells them with several thousand dollars in add-ons (lift kits, wheels, tires, etc) on top of that.

Jeep is expanding the Wrangler production line. They sell like hotcakes.

I'm hoping that Ford builds another Bronco and doesn't screw it up. Otherwise I'll be buying another Wrangler.

I'm still holding out hope for a Bronco return on the Raptor platform . . .

A Braptor would be awesome, but even Branger would be cool.

and the most off roading a lot of them have seen is a rainy day and a pot hole once in a while :D. A lot of people get them because it makes them feel like they can go off road if they wanted...but just don't quite feel like it.
They do need something to compete with the tough look of those Jeeps, I guess they think the Rangers and F150s are doing that.

I'm sure Ford has priced a fully loaded Jeep JKU Rubicon. I saw one at the Jeep dealer that was $49K+ on the sticker. The dealer frequently sells them with several thousand dollars in add-ons (lift kits, wheels, tires, etc) on top of that.

Jeep is expanding the Wrangler production line. They sell like hotcakes.

I'm hoping that Ford builds another Bronco and doesn't screw it up. Otherwise I'll be buying another Wrangler.

A Braptor would be awesome, but even Branger would be cool.

and the most off roading a lot of them have seen is a rainy day and a pot hole once in a while :D. A lot of people get them because it makes them feel like they can go off road if they wanted...but just don't quite feel like it.
They do need something to compete with the tough look of those Jeeps, I guess they think the Rangers and F150s are doing that.

True, but you could say that about 4x4 F150's as well. Plus a wrangler is capable off road to a degree that a F150 can't touch, if ever needed.

Oh and it can go doorless and topless pretty easily.

But if you want a car like ride and great MPG, stay away from a Wrangler.

so when the ranger died so did the base platform for the OG explorer.

you're ford what do you do to replace one of your most popular veichles?

you take your other most popular veichle and grow it's unibody platform into the new explorer.

now - with the death of the crown vic - the taurus also became the veichle pushed over to all the police groups. they wanted more too - the flex was going to be that veichle. at first. but they liked the idea of the explorer vs something bigger like the expo.

some wanted an interceptor model to go with the taurus - easy peasy same platform and driveline.

because of that - we have the sport model to choose from. while not 100% and interceptor model - it helped be the design goals for the suspension - structure and hardpoints - weight balance and the drive line.

All fo these are opposite to the desire of off roading. mostly ground clearance and arm articulation.

ford already sells that it's called a F150 Raptor or F150 FX4 package.

seriously though and explorer could be made to do the job - but - the tires have to change, the lower body panels have to change - the drive line honestly could do the job while still being FWD biased.

but the unibody and the interior would need some extra support for all the extra impulse loads but through the body. and then articulation - this is the bigger issue. you just don't have the space under there to let the arms have all the motion they would need - and if you did, you'd lose out on the stability that makes the interceptor model possible.

A full on ready made veichle would need to be made and that market if probably rather small.

expect however for the new ford ranger to have something for that. like the CHevy colorado.

Right from the people in the Ford Explorer Marketing Team, the Explorer is not targeted at the heavy duty off road community. Those people buy Jeeps off CraigsList for $5K and then dump $12K in mods into them.

For those that want to stay Ford they go Raptor if they can afford it.

The research shows the demand for heavy duty off road use is just not supported in the take rate of those vehicles.

Regardless, the Chicago Assembly Plant has multiple shifts working lots of OT to keep up with demand so somebody in Explorer Marketing got it right.

The Police market is getting taken over by the PI Utility so even Law Enforcement agrees.

Anyone thinking of seriously off roading a 2011 up Exploder, please don't, your drivetrain will thank you later

Back