New front bumper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New front bumper

which one looks better? A or B

A:
g9hU-fRzVUe1Oam0PBpWp7QOJv86PIhN0300.jpg

B:
ZqqnGs7DdQgf5hwLYTf6E0Tq6pvMXqs40300.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, what's the difference?
I mean, one looks smaller, but still the same.

yep^^^
EDIT: Ok, I just realized the difference, I like the bottom one better.

the mounts for the D-rings are bigger on the bottom design. they look better that way considering the general appearance and shape of the rest of the bumper

4.0 freak said:
Like to see some picks for ideas. Think that you can post some pics up also bipolarbob?

Not elite either.Could send them to ya, mine is 3 quarters done.

thanks spirito

need your address. Will do tommorow or sun.

drivehard said:
which one looks better? A or B

A:
g9hU-fRzVUe1Oam0PBpWp7QOJv86PIhN0300.jpg

B:
ZqqnGs7DdQgf5hwLYTf6E0Tq6pvMXqs40300.jpg

I like the bottom one.

Do you plan on fabbing this up yourself? What software did you draw that on? If its ACAD I might like a copy of the file so I could tweak it a bit for an idea I have. Your design reminds me of the Trail Ready bumpers.

Just realized you are from Everret I just moved to Centralia and work in Lacey/Olympia

I like B better..

If you were to tow from one of those d links from the side, wouldnt it break off?

if they are as thin as they are in the drawing.. yes. in reality most d-ring mounts are 3/4" thick though.

Alaskanjack- ya i was hoping to make it with my buddy, do you think it will be too hard? i made it on "Rhino" its a 3d modeling software. i think autocad only does 2d. i have a demo disc with the program if you wanted it.

Chew 12- thats what i was thinking at first so i made it so that the d-ring peice actually goes strait back and is the place where the whole thing bolts to the truck. so basically everthing is welded to that peice.

also i was thinking of useing 5/16 metal, u guys think that would work?

i wouldn't use 5/16". that will be one heavy sucker if you do. unless you just meant the main section that bolts to the bumper. i'd go with a thinner outter skin for the pretty stuff like 1/8" honestly. personally, i'd use 1/4" for the main structural part and just weld some 3/4" D-ring mounts on. once you price the steel out, you will change your mind on that thick stuff. i just think 5/16" is way too thick for a bumper.
rhino should be able to save out to a .dwg or .dxf. if not, export it to a .3ds. Autocad can open all those and does 3d as well as 2d

I'm sorry, is it just me or do A and B look exactly the same. Just A looks like the picture's bigger. My only thought about this is, less talk and get to building it! Looks good, just waiting to see the finished product now.

EBInterceptor said:
I'm sorry, is it just me or do A and B look exactly the same. Just A looks like the picture's bigger. My only thought about this is, less talk and get to building it! Looks good, just waiting to see the finished product now.

the D link hanger is different

Okay, I drew up my bumper and showed my builder how I wanted it, and am only so happy with what I ended up with. Feel free to look at mine and I'll point out what I like and don't like.

I'm happy with the bumper, the brush guard was intended to be built to protect the front fenders, but I'm not totally impressed with the look.

I had D-ring mounts on there and cut them off. You need to make your D-ring mounts 1" thick for sidepulls, strength etc. They need to be a solid piece that goes back and bolts onto the frame, not welded on the front. I could vision one of my tabs ripping off causing a catastrophe, hence I ground them off.

I really like that my winch is on a reciever with channels to strengthen the box when it is in there. On a bonus, I made a light bar on a 2" stock and that can go in it's place. I also have winch power in the rear as well, so it's mobile.

As for strength, I've been impressed, it's 3/16" steel all around. It's definitly taken a beating on the bottom, but does show some wounds. If I were to do it again, I'd use 1/4"
I do have 2" square stock in the front and rear of the center section for the framework of it.

Overall I am extremely impressed in how light it is. I'd say 50 lbs. I can undo all the bolts and take it off (winch removed) by myself and carry it over my shoulder.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 270

sapogmxr said:
the D link hanger is different

Now I see it. I kind of skipped over the middle posts, probably mentioned something about it, but I kept staring at the pictures and couldn't figure it out.

jasonb- ive never made a bumper before, you make it sound like i need a frame that i weld the exterior pieces onto, should i do that. because i was just thinking of just welding all of the peices together. or is that not strong enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really a frame. Basically you would have a center section that is beefy and you use less structural stuff for the outsides. Still using all plate. I would just not use one size for the whole project. Use the pic below as a guide... Your bumper design is very similar to an ARB or similar. They basically use 1/4" for a box around the winch and that attaches to the frame and use 1/8" everywhere else. They won't survive huge impacts without taking some damage but they look great and will fend off a lot of blows very well. If you want to be able to land on it from any height and not damage it, go 1/4" all the way. I just think that is too heavy though. I'm going to assume you do mild wheeling a few times a year on weekends. That will be my basis on what I think you should do. I'm also assuming you want to put a winch in it.
Red - 1/4"
Yellow squiggles - remove
Green - 3/4" welded that goes through the front plate and is welded on front and back and is welded to some other brace inside the "box" You can buy these already machined out for about $15 each and are about 6" long.
Blue - 1/8" may do the verticle panel in 3/16"
Purple - 3/16" or 1/8" if you don't plan to wheel hard and abuse it.
I would put some sort of bracing in the corner where blue meets purple. Whether that is boxing the section in or just adding gussetts.
Black - cut out a spot for the fairlead for the winch.

I've not built a bumper for something as heavy as an Explorer. I've watched friends in 4runners with the ARB bumpers take some heavy hits on them on big rocks. Usually they are fine after and they use thinner material that what I mentioned. If you want it to be dang near bulletproof.. go 1/4" all around. Just know its gonna be heavy! In reality.. it depends on what you plan to do with it. If its mainly for looks, don't bother making it super tough. If its for real durability, sacrifice the looks and go thicker. The side pieces (blue outsides) are gonna take damage if you hit them pretty much with whatever you use because of the leverage.

Attachments

• bumer-colors.jpg
    bumer-colors.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 261

Back