• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

My New Front Bumper

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
A skid plate will be added later this week or weekend. Im still really undecided on whether i should paint it or leave it as is and just clear coat it. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Paint! Black or some dark-ish gray shade.

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Paint! Black or some dark-ish gray shade.
i might be getting the explorer painted for free soon, im wondering if the bumper would look gay painted to match the rest of the vehicle. Hmmmm..

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
It might look really cool. I almost did my white truck all white including bumpers, sliders etc. Instead I did all the bumpers and sliders gray to go with a "theme" plus I was trying to knock off trail ready's killer look.

From what I've been hearing clearcoat won't totally keep the bumper from showing rust because it will get under it and show so the better answer is to paint it a color close to what your bare metal looks like. Now if you's a balla you chrome that thing.

And I'm not just talking about the bumper, the whole truck.

Attachments

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Ya i say do a two tone theme if you do get the truck painted.

BogFather

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport, 91 Samurai
that bumper is FRIGGIN AWESOME. pretty much the same as mine will be. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Ya i say do a two tone theme if you do get the truck painted.
Ive been thinking the same thing, maybe a silver and medium blue or something along that line. But its that dark green now so to do the door jams and all that is where the cost of painting really starts to shoot up. Maybe keep the green, and just add a silver or grey? Hmmm now you got me thinking lol..

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
So where are you going for this free paint job? And is it going to be a decent one or "you get what you pay for" kinda deal?

davesexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F350 7.3
That looks frickin sweet!

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
So where are you going for this free paint job? And is it going to be a decent one or "you get what you pay for" kinda deal?
I have an insurance check for a vehicle that got wrecked a few years ago. The state told me to either use it or lose it so i made a little deal with the body shop since its a dual party check. Should be next month or so, its for almost 2000$ so thats a decent paint job right there.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
its for almost 2000$ so thats a decent paint job right there.
That's plenty. My last explorer with a color change was $1k. Granted it was from white to grey so it wasn't as hard to change the color, but you should easily be able to get it done for $2k. :thumbsup:

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
just use some rustoleum hammertone grey on it.

as for the body? I say now if it's a trail truck paint it yourself:D and pocket the 2k for more parts:D

SkanlaxJMO

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
damn thats a nice bumper

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
just use some rustoleum hammertone grey on it.

as for the body? I say now if it's a trail truck paint it yourself:D and pocket the 2k for more parts:D
Its my DD for now, but the paint is still pretty good. i wish i could keep the whole check but its one of those stupid 2 party insurance checks. Otherwise the 2k would be for deavers and shocks and such lol.

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Man, i am so jealous, you have the freedom to choose whatever paint you want! That's awesome!

Brandon@BTF-fab

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 ranger
Sean, you should get some 'glass fenders before you paint it. Would look really nice!

carlover

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Sean, you should get some 'glass fenders before you paint it. Would look really nice!
That i will do for sure. Im messing around in photoshop right now with some pics of the explorer and some possible paint schemes.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
seriously!!
Take that thing to a powder coating facility. No, I cannot do it, besides the shipping would be outragous.
However-powdercoat is 10 times stronger than paint. You should be able to have that done in a large production facilty for 100 or less, if you wait for them to run a batch of your color choice. I'd stay with a gloss finish-bugs will clean away much easier.

Also, ask them for a small baggie of the powder-
if you do scrape a small area-a q tip dipped in acetone will work to apply a small amount of powder and keep the whole part rust free.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Looking for a weld on kit front winch bumper for 99 ford explorer Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 7
2TimingTom Factory front bumper mounting brackets Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 2
joshuaj0214 2nd gen Front bumper build Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 55
D Front bumper Plans 2000 XLS Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 4
A aftermarket front bumper ? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 3
2TimingTom Front bumper build scheduled! Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 9
N Another 1st Gen Front Bumper Build Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 11
N XJ or B2 front bumper on EX 2Gen Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 7
section525 Section525's custom front tube "bumper"... Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 26
C What do you guys think about this for a front winch bumper? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 4
DB_1 Tube front bumper build Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 59
mynameisaric MyNameIsAric's NEW front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 10
Pottsy Let's Talk 2nd Gen. Front Bumper Area Wants? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 52
O Custom Front Bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 1
mcpherson Kinda, New Front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 7
D MY new front bumper. Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 5
FROADER FROADER's front bumper/winch mount (lots-o-pics) Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 34
P front bumper / light bar replacement Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 1
Stic-o Stic-o's Front Bumper 2.0 Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 28
DB_1 Front bumper chop Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 11
Yeeehaw86 2nd gen front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 0
C Front bumper project, Phase I Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 8
Blee1099 Front Winch Bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 45
W New Front Bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 26
RangerX RangerX gets a real front bumper. Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 22
9 front bumper plans Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 5
S New Front Bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 27
C new front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 10
mynameisaric New front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 31
Stic-o Stic-o's New front Bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 45
C Front Bumper Needed! Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 1
C Front Bumper Ideas - Thoughts, suggestions? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 34
B New front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 43
Y Getting ready to build a front bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 14
B Front Pre-runner bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 15
Brian1 My new front winch bumper Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 34
Blue91Ex Tractor front tow hitch build Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 0
2TimingTom Front Skid Plate Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 55
turboexplorer 2nd Gen Front Skid Plate, TurboExplorer Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 55
turboexplorer 2nd Gen front Skid Plate Ideas Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 9
T Idea/thought about front receiver winch mount Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 2
T My New Front Skid Plate Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 12
ProjectAviator protection for front leaf spring mounts? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 4
C 1991 exploer 4x4 front & rear bumpers Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 1
J Front Hitch Construction Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 1
K Front and Rear bumpers (56k beware) Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 10
ProjectAviator Jeep yj front bumpers on Explorers?? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 2
R.J. Front end work Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 340
MountaineerGreen Front Hitch Construction Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 39
RangerX Homemade front bumpers - weld-on or bolt-on? Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc. 31