New guy needs advice! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy needs advice!

JoshEwa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
josh79701@gmail.com
Hi,

My name is Josh and I purchased my 2007 2wd 4.0 X a couple months ago. I live in West Texas and when I purchased it, I did'nt feel I needed 4x4 or a v8.
But now I am about to relocate to Wheeling, WV. I have never been in this part of the country and have no clue what to expect weather wise... My question is how well do 2wd X in snow? Should I look and trading it in for a 4x4?

Thanks for any help!

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! I live up in New Hampshire/Massachusetts area and we see a lot of snow just like you will in WV. To be honest, I don't think you will ever really use it unless you are in the woods. Most of time when you have to use the 4x4 you shouldn't be driving anyways lol.

Thanks!!! While I do love to off road! I am just worried about getting to and from work. Thanks so much for the info!

Depends where you will be driving in Wheeling, there's some pretty back-country roads with steep grades....I'd suggest 4x4 but with snow tires and chains you should be ok.

I would drive the 2wd first- I had a 2wd 2001 Sport, and it did great in Michigan winters. I think the thing to understand about 4wd is that you may use it as a crutch, and think you're in more control than you actually are. It's really for getting moving- if you're driving, hit a slick spot, and start losing control- 4wd won't help you regain control much more than not having it. Once you're gone, you're gone. I'd drive the '07 and see how it does. Snow really isn't that bad once you drive in it for a few storms. I wouldn't take a soaking on the truck you have just to get a 4wd truck for the handful of times you'll have bad conditions.

Back