New guy needs help with these codes and situation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy needs help with these codes and situation

kyle batson

Reaction score
City, State
wood river, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I am having a poor start-up and the vehicles has a surging idle as well as driving rough when around 40-45 mph.
I have these codes that pulled up.
(04 Explorer 4.0 SOHC

P0316- Misfire in the first 1000 revolutions
P0132 H02S-11 (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit high input
P0300- Random misfire detected
P0301- Cylinder number 1 misfire detected
P0302 Cylinder number 2 misfire detected
P0303 cylinder number 3 misfire detected
P0405 DPFE Sensor circuit low input
P2195 Lack of H02S-11 switching, sensor indicates lean
P2196 Lack of H02S- 21 switching, sensor indicates rich

Now I have had a new MAF put on, new IAC, as well as the 02 sensor replaced next to the catalytic convertor (kind of sure that is s1 bank 2. I thought that putting new spark plugs and wires would fix this problem so I put all new plugs and wires on. No go. Still having the same problem.

Where should I start at in order? At a loss and feeling overwhelmed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gee. I thought these computerized engines told us what to fix. Then I hear people whine why it costs so much to keep their car running.

Wish I could offer you some help but I wouldnt know where to start.

I am having a poor start-up and the vehicles has a surging idle as well as driving rough when around 40-45 mph.
I have these codes that pulled up.
(04 Explorer 4.0 SOHC

P0316- Misfire in the first 1000 revolutions
P0132 H02S-11 (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit high input
P0300- Random misfire detected
P0301- Cylinder number 1 misfire detected
P0302 Cylinder number 2 misfire detected
P0303 cylinder number 3 misfire detected
P0405 DPFE Sensor circuit low input
P2195 Lack of H02S-11 switching, sensor indicates lean
P2196 Lack of H02S- 21 switching, sensor indicates rich

Now I have had a new MAF put on, new IAC, as well as the 02 sensor replaced next to the catalytic convertor (kind of sure that is s1 bank 2. I thought that putting new spark plugs and wires would fix this problem so I put all new plugs and wires on. No go. Still having the same problem.

Where should I start at in order? At a loss and feeling overwhelmed.
@kyle batson
IMO, we're missing something real important here. All misfires are on the right bank; O2 sensors are acting up strangely, no real prediction there. I've had a similar time with HO2S sensors which gave DTCs over and over, unable to resolve, isolated them electrically even, ran new wiring to them, the cause finally was found to be partial clog of Bank 1 cat converter. Ready to replace Wye pipe and cats, nothing to lose at that point, I rapped on the RH converter while my wife ran engine at 2500 rpm.

Now, the gurus shot all hell at me for probably ruining the cat. Know what? It's been over a thousand miles now, and NO CEL! I had nothing tolose by trying an idiotic thought after erasing the codes over and over, for many weeks, and kept getting nebulous returns of the same code. There's my story.

FWIW, ALL 4 HO2S sensors are adjacent to cats, 2 on each side. They call them out for diagnostic purposes as HO2S 1 1, HO2S 1 2, those are Bank 1 (right side, cyls. 1, 2, 3) upstream (second 1) and downstream, the 2. Left bank is 2 1, and 2 2. imp

So you did replace the Cat or just rap on it?

Someone recently had reported a problem with a newly installed used engine only running on 3 cylinders (just one bank ran). As I recall his problem turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. Just putting it out there as a possibility. When you get that many DTC's most of them tend to be triggered by one issue.

So you did replace the Cat or just rap on it?
@ptf18 @koda2000
I hit the cat about 10 or 15 times sharply with a ball pein hammer, not hard enough to dent the shroud which surrounds it. This while engine was running in PARK at 2500 rpm. Figured if fine **** was partially clogging it, making temps. higher than normal, that might be cause of weird repeating code. The truck has run code-free now for at least 1000 miles. With 156,000 miles on the cats, I figured they probably ought to be replaced anyway, so had nothing to lose.

Agree, koda, with similarly-related codes like that, the root cause is probably contained in one of them. I asked myself, after reading OP, why would compression be suddenly lost in all cyls. on one bank, to the extent of misfiring? Engine will run almost normally with half it's compression lost, and not totally misfire, but run maybe too rich, detectable by O2 sensors, but seemed unlikely. imp

@imp - The insides of a cat are a honeycomb ceramic material. Hitting one with a hammer is not a good idea because it will break the ceramic material. I don't know how hard you hit yours, perhaps enough to break the guts, perhaps just hard enough to shake carbon loose and clear the blockage.

@imp - The insides of a cat are a honeycomb ceramic material. Hitting one with a hammer is not a good idea because it will break the ceramic material. I don't know how hard you hit yours, perhaps enough to break the guts, perhaps just hard enough to shake carbon loose and clear the blockage.
@koda2000
Understood, and agreed. At this point in time, assuming the structure was damaged, I imagine insufficient NOx reduction would be taking place, and that would throw a cat code, so I will keep driving it until.......who can say how long? Only wanted others to know that given little alternative to ripping out the cat and replacing it, I thought it worth a try. It looks like replacing the Wye pipe and two cats as a unit, or even the split type, is a hassle, as the pipe passes above the trans. crossmember, and the flange at the muffler won't clear w/o lowering that, which means the possible broken bolt syndrome...etc. imp

Leaking intake manifold? Spray starting fluid on the right side. If it increased in engine speed. You found the problem. Dave P.

Leaking intake manifold? Spray starting fluid on the right side. If it increased in engine speed. You found the problem. Dave P.
I will try this in about an hour and come back on here. Like above I was wondering also if it could have been a catalytic converter as well

Gee. I thought these computerized engines told us what to fix. Then I hear people whine why it costs so much to keep their car running.

Wish I could offer you some help but I wouldnt know where to start.
I thought the "check engine light" codes made life easier and cheaper to repair....it's the exact opposite, it is there to aggravate you and cost you more money....

I thought the "check engine light" codes made life easier and cheaper to repair....it's the exact opposite, it is there to aggravate you and cost you more money....
Couldn’t disagree more. I’d much rather work on an OBD2 car any day. Half the time the code points out the direct cause, and the other half at least gives you a place to start.

Back