New Here -> 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0L AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Here -> 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0L AWD

mixtape

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0L V8
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and new to owning an Explorer, so I apologize in advance for having little or no idea about the truck.

I am picking up a 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer 5.0 AWD tomorrow evening. It's currently stock but fully loaded. Really sweet looking truck. The first things I want to do is a cold air intake and exhaust. Now my Ford Contour had these little tiny catalytic-converter looking things on the exhaust manifolds (headers). I put straight through headers on there and it sounds nice and must be less restrictive now. Now does my 99 5.0L Explorer engine have all those mini cat like converters on the exhaust manifolds too? I know some cars do and some don't. So I'm not sure about the Explorer.

Also, is it really worth it to put headers on it or will a cat-back and intake be good enough?

Which leads me to ask:

What brand headers are the best and where can I buy them? I would also need part numbers since Ford makes a few different engines for this truck. I also hear an early 98 5.0L is different than a 99 5.0L. Why's that? That only makes it more confusing to find headers that will fit.

Also, what intake setup works best? (Part numbers and where to buy them?)

Should I buy a cat-back exhaust or just replace the muffler? If cat-back, what brand, part number, sizes/measurements, store? If muffler, same thing, what brand, part number, size/measurements, store?

Any suggestions about glass packs? I want a semi-loud but bassy sound. Not a high pitch scream.

Sorry for all the mind boggling questions. :confused: I just want to make sure I get this thing done and done right! :D

Thanks in advance!
-Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Headers are the place to start with these 5.0's. The stock manifolds are very restrictive. The 5.0 has 4 cats, but they are all downstream of the headers. The only brand of headers you can buy are from Torque Monster Headers. I think the major changes for the 5.0 happened between 97, and 98 when then went to the gt40p heads, and the returnless fuel line system. I don't think I'd do glass packs on an Explorer, but would stick with any name brand muffler. Lot's of debate on here about the different Flowmasters.

Welcome to Explorer Forum! I agree, start with headers.

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like headers it is! Anyone have the link to a site that sells them? Also, what kind of intake setup do you guys have? Or are you running headers and exhaust with stock intake?

Thank you :)

Welcome to the forum and remember search is your friend. :thumbsup:

Welcome, and post a pic or three when you get it :thumbsup:

The headers are $724 shipped. That's a tad pricey for my budget. Maybe I'll try searching through this site's classifieds section. :) Worth a shot.

Thank you for the link to torquemonsterheader. Now I need to find a website that sells reliable and quality intake kits and I'm all set. :thumbsup:

Also, I will get pictures up asap!
Thanks guys!

If I'm not mistaken you should get a discount on the headers because you are a member of this forum... And as for the intake check out www.hensonperformance.com. The guy that operates that site is a vendor here and will help you get everything you need.

welcome aboard be sure to post some pics of ur x

The guy who was going to sell me the truck changed his mind at the last second. Guess he realized what an amazing truck he was about to let go. I was a little bit upset to hear his voicemail when he said the truck was no longer for sale. :banghead:

I guess I'm not getting a 5.0 Explorer this week :thumbdwn:

Are you still going to continue to search for one?

Are you still going to continue to search for one?

Yes. I love the truck but most of the Eddie Bauers I find online are overpriced or too high of mileage. I have my eyes open though. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot how Mountaineers were similar. I'll keep my eye out for both. Thank you guys

Back