New hubs with bearing races -use with new bearings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New hubs with bearing races -use with new bearings?

Paul Fithian

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Job 1 RWD V8 Limited
0A77AF6F-D6E8-4B4A-887A-B3607AFC75A9.jpeg
I have always understood that new bearings should use the races they came with, not the old ones that are in the hub.

I am replacing the rotors and bearings on my 2001 RWD, which have integral hubs with the rotors.

The new Raybestos rotors arrived with new bearing races already pressed in. Is it OK to use these, or should I press them out and use the races that came with the new Timken bearings?

The picture shows the new rotors with the bearings in the races that came with the rotors.

FWIW

Many people use the races that come in the rotors. I've done it before, and I've even put new bearings in with the old races.
BUT, last year when I redid the front brakes on my Ranger, I took the new rotors and new Timken bearings to a small local auto machine shop and asked him to press out the races that came in the rotors and press in the Timken races. The guy was impressed that I cared, and when I picked them up, he had labeled each boxed bearing with the corresponding rotors and specified inside bearing and outside bearing on each! Not sure if Sport tracks use identical bearing inside and out, but the early 90's trucks did.

Me, I'd install the new bearings in the new rotor without installing the new races that came w/the bearings. If fact, I did that very thing this past spring. I've never had a problem doing it this way. Never reuse new bearings in old races though. I have a friend that is super OCD about stuff like this and he would HAVE TO remove the races from the new rotor and replace them with the races that came with the new bearings. I figure meh.

FC2EADCD-E384-48BA-AD35-A8FE18CE684A.jpeg
I did press out the hub races and installed the Timken ones that came with the new bearings.

Interesting mix of sourcing on the bearings. Both outers were US made, but one of the inners was from France, the other from Poland.

Runs much quieter now.

Back