New ignition cylinder PATS key problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New ignition cylinder PATS key problem

JCortez

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I am replacing the ignition cylinder in a 2000 XLT with a new cylinder with two new PATS keys. I have the two original keys. Is it possible to program the keys myself? I have tried the procedure posted previously by a member, but was not successful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would pry open the original keys to extract the transponder module and swap into the new keys... just seems like the course of least resistance.

Otherwise, you might try the normal programming procedure but wrapping metal foil around the top of the new keys (trying to block the signal from them) and holding the old key tops right next to it so it thinks the old key is in the cylinder then when it comes time to add the new key, pull the old key away and take the foil off the new key.

The PATS module will accept and store up to eight key codes. So if you have two working keys, you should be able to use them to program the new ones.

If you change the key cylinder, I hope you swapped the tumblers to match your old keys, and then the new blanks get cut to match the old ones. That way your old keys work, and those make good spares. Most locksmiths can change tumblers in a cylinder for little cost, coming to the car is also possible and common.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be swapping the transponders, since that seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get the job done.

I'd have the new cylinder re-keyed to accept the old keys (assuming they're not worn out).

Thank you koda2000 and CDW6212R. I swapped the transponders today per the suggestion from J_C. Both new keys work well with the old transponders. The new keys did not give up their transponders easily, but the swap worked well. A little dab of glue on the caps and they should last quite a while. Thanks again for the help.

Back