New Ignition Lock Cylinder Problems in 1995 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ignition Lock Cylinder Problems in 1995 XLT

Clutchless1995

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have a 1995 XLT and just replaced the ignition lock cylinder with one from Auto Zone and it obviously is not a correct match. 1) Always chimes when the drivers door is opened after the key is removed. 2) Does not always start when turned and seems to take extra effort. 3) After sitting overnight, when starting, the door locks all lock and unlock or vice/versa.
I plan to return it, but am not sure which alternative to pick for a correct fit. FordPartsOnline sells one but it is $117 because my truck was made before May 1995. I saw another one at http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalo...der_and_switch&brand_name=motorcraft&s=1&my=1 for $41 that claims to be Motorcraft. It matches the VIN on my truck, with the "X". This is more in my price range, but I do not want to get another one that does not work correctly. Has anyone experience with this issue? Finally, does the Key description, No. 1 Cut letter A or No. 3 Cut letter C make any difference?; Thanks, I just joined last week, but have had the Explorer about 6 years.

I called the dealer and got the answer. The car is too old and they no longer have the key code information in the computer. So it is pick a lock and hopefully get it rekeyed to match the original key. It turns out the $42 Motorocraft lock cylinder is the same thing the dealer sells for $65. So I do not know what the $117 Fordpartsonline ones are all about. Anyway, I ordered a Motorcraft lock cylinder from RockAuto for $36 (and 4 Wix oil filters). I can get it rekeyed for $25. I will return the other to Autozone.

pn for ignition lock

Clutchless1995,

Do you have the pn for ignition switch you purchased from rock auto. Has it worked out well for you. I need to replace mine and any info would be great.

Ray

Back