• Register Today It's free!

replacing ignition key cylinder?

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
the ignition cylinder on the column of my 95 explorer is very loose and misaligned often causing it to lock and prevent start up.

a few questions

1) whats involved in replacing it?
2) does anyone beside ford sell them?
3) how do i go about finding the ignition key code? (probably through vin# but figured incase there was another way)

thanks in advance

Can only tell you how easy it was to remove on my '98. Remove three screws that hold the trim cover around the steering column and then remove lower trim. Insert ignition key and turn to the run position. Look under the lock cylinder for a small hole that looks like it has a ball bearing in it. Push the bearing in with a punch or small screw driver and pull on the cylinder and it will be in your hand. Done.

You don't need the key code. Just don't let the little plates fall out of the cylinder. All you have to do is take one plate out of the old cylinder at a time and match the size up with the plates that come with the new one. The plates should be numbered so you can also just take the plates out one at a time and write down the number stamped on the plate in the order you take them out. That will give you your key code. Don't worry if you screw it up. You can also just put the key in the new cylinder and mix and match plates until they are all flush with the outside.

thanks a bunch guys, just what i was looking for

Back