Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
I only have one key left since my other broke and it will only open the driver door and operate the ignition. Is there a way to get a new lock set with keys for my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you have (at least) 3 options:

1. Ford dealer (buy all new locks and ignition).

2. Junk yard (if you can find a truck with a key, take out all the locks and ignition and swap into yours).

3. Locksmith. You'd be amazed at what these guys can fix, and usually very fast and not too expensive (compared to all new locks, for example). They usually charge less if you can drive the truck to them (rather than them coming to you with a service van).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Pull the passenger and rear hatch locks and take them to a locksmith. With the locks out, shouldn't be too bad to have them refit to your existing key (I'm a locksmith and I would normally charge about $25 a lock to rekey them). Also, if the locks were never changed and just stopped working you can try lubricating the existing locks first to see if you have a tumbler sticking.

My Trans Am had no passenger door lock, went to GM and bought one for like $12, and went to a locksmith right across the street, left him the tumbler and door key, next day picked up my lock... think he charged me like $15-20.

Course the lock is still sitting in the glove box....but it's keyed! Fast, easy, and cheap.

By the way, my key only worked my iginition on my Explorer. It wouldn't unlock any doors. The PO and myself had thought that someone replaced the ignition and didn't do the doors.

When I pulled my Radiator, I had a gift under there, there was one of those magnetic key holders. And inside was a very corroded key....that works all the doors AND the ignition.

Turns out the key copy I had was so worn, it wouldn't work in the doors anymore, any of them.

I even had two copies of that "found" key made, and they also work the doors (with a tiny bit of wiggeling, takes like a second sometimes to get em)

I have the "found" key put up as a master, once the new keys wear down I can make more copies of my good key!

I'm sure your key is "right" for the other doors, it's just the key is so worn that it isn't quite right. The driver's door and ignition wore with the key so they are ok....

I'm going to put keyless on mine sometime, and just not have to deal with it!! LOL

EDIT:
I'd make a couple of copies of your current key... make sure they work the door and ignition, then take your tumblers from the passenger and rear hatch to a locksmith, and have him match them to one of the known good copies. Keep the old you have now as a "master" and only use it to make more copies when needed....

Course if you go long enough, I guess locks could get so worn the "master" would no longer work, but I doubt it. I find when locks wear they simply accept a wider range of keys, and "unworn" locks are the picky ones.

How do I get the lock out?

BFH???? LOL

*shrug* you got me there, I suppose you take of the door panel/rear hatch panel and remove it somehow from the inside.....

Notice I said my Trans Am lock is still in the glove box?? There's a reason for that!! LOL

But I really don't know, it can't be very hard. The door panels come off pretty easy, I'd get one off and have a look. Maybe there's a how to on here?

Problem is is that he has a set of 2nd gen keysets not first gen. He said the holes were different.

...For all my Fords over the years, I just went to Pep Boy's to pick up the cylinders with keys...Ignition comes with a key for about 15-20 bucks...The door locks are cheaper...Even autozone sells them...:dunno:

...I like having a separate key for the door and the ignition...

Back