new member,2017 Adaptive Cruise Control... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new member,2017 Adaptive Cruise Control...

greggerdotcom

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Almost 4000 miles on my 2017 white Ford Explorer Sport, and generally I'm pretty happy. Two things stand out, though. First, the mileage is terrible, much worse that the posted EPA numbers. This is despite the act that I log a lot of highway miles, and use the ACC as often as possible. Speaking of the ACC, why is this not much, much better? First, it's always a bit slow to act when the car in front begins to decelerate. Why does it disengage at 20 mph, instead of bringing the vehicle to a complete stop? Why can't I reengage with the resume button from a standstill (like I could on a Cadillac years ago). and why does the system COMPLETELY disappear when you really need it the most (like when approaching stopped traffic at speed).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In a way you've answered one of your own questions. The reason you can not re-engage the 'Resume' button is because the system cuts off below 20 mph. I don't know why but am guessing it is because it doesn't have the automatic stop program. Once below the cut off speed the control reverts to the driver. I'm sure if you are approaching stopped traffic at a speed greater that 20 mph, the system will alert you to that fact but will, as mentioned before, cut off when below 20 mph. This is the way it is designed and only Ford engineers will be able to answer why it is. I am quite sure that in time you may see the pedestrian/object detection full stop feature being introduced but for now the driver is responsible for this. Perhaps as it should be.

Peter

The Explorer does NOT STOP itself so you (the human) are still actually driving and expected to do so.
Our Subaru WILL stop and it's quite a nice safety net and the ACC works more like what you are expecting.
The collision alert/prevention on the Ex pre-primes the brakes to full but requires YOU to push the brake peddle.

1. The car should come to a FULL STOP.
2. I'm not a human.
3. It's pedal, not peddle.

1. The car should come to a FULL STOP.
2. I'm not a human.
3. It's pedal, not peddle.
If not human, what species are you? You are going to be quite busy here is you go around correcting spelling.

Peter

First, to the gas mileage:
ACC will cause your speed to fluctuate a lot if you're using it in traffic, particularly if you drive faster than average traffic. Speed fluctuations will cause your mpg to drop sharply.

Set your cruise at about what the average traffic is doing, and you'll see better mpg. I guarantee it.

Second, to the behavior:

I've never driven a car where the cruise control would engage below 20 mph. Tesla vehicles apparently will engage auto-pilot in the way that you want. If you want a car to behave that way, perhaps you should trade your explorer and get a Model X.

Also, it's Adaptive Cruise Control, not Active Collision Avoidance. Again, perhaps you should trade your explorer for a vehicle that has this feature if you are so adamant that it should behave this way.

Good Evening Gents,

Hope everyone is having a good day. I have 17 Blue Platinum.

I thought the ACC was a gimmick and did not even wont it. WOW, was I wrong!

On a 250 mile trip, with speed limit of 65, traffic was moving from 60-80, two lanes. I set to 77, stayed in the left lane, and let the ACC work its magic. There is a separate control to regulate how far you want to stay behind the car infront of you. A few days earlier i had it set to 3, but once comfortable, and confident in the system, i dropped it down to one. Only one jack ass cut in between me and the car in front of me. I dropped it down to Sport and was around him in seconds. I personally dont want cruise at low speeds, so np there for me.

On a different note, picking up 3 teens tonight, some one not paying attention rolled through a stop sign. I was only doing 33-35 mph, but swerved out of the way, crossed over yellow line, and then yanked it right back into my lane. This was all manual, i was not on ACC. However, the Plat handled like a champ. I was shocked at its agility.

Back