New Member - 2020 Star White Limited on Retail Order | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member - 2020 Star White Limited on Retail Order

CAE05006

Reaction score
City, State
Wallingford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Hi -

Ordered a 2020 Explorer Limited in Star White three weeks ago (8/10/19). My dealer said he probably won't have the Vin# to give me for 5 or 6 weeks. I thought that was a little weird. Dealer also said typically a factory order takes 8 weeks, but i get the feeling i'll be waiting longer. What a pain. Had i known i would have just driven an hour away and purchased the same vehicle i ordered from a different dealer that has one in stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long did it take to get a vin # after placing a retail order? I ordered 8/10/19 and my dealer said a vin won’t be available for 6 weeks? Is that normal? I’m not sure what to expect with wait time. I’m hoping it arrives in 8 weeks form order date.

How long did it take to get a vin # after placing a retail order? I ordered 8/10/19 and my dealer said a vin won’t be available for 6 weeks? Is that normal? I’m not sure what to expect with wait time. I’m hoping it arrives in 8 weeks form order date.

You should have a VIN within a week.

You should have a VIN within a week.

Thanks for letting me know. Now I don’t have a good feeling about my order. Maybe it’s because I used a smaller dealer rather than a larger one?or the guy just doesn’t have a clue. Hmmm

Thanks for letting me know. Now I don’t have a good feeling about my order. Maybe it’s because I used a smaller dealer rather than a larger one?or the guy just doesn’t have a clue. Hmmm

Typically what happens with smaller dealers is that they don't get a lot of allocation (allowed a smaller amount of Explorers per month based on previous sales). This will still get you a VIN, it just wont get you a build date. It will sit as "unscheduled - clean" in the system till a build week, then day.

My guess is they are telling you 6 weeks so you dont pester them which seems like most dealers are like this. The guy I normally go through sends me screen shots weekly of any changes so Indont have to bother... but he has been around a long time and I think he is passionate about the product he sells so he has a lot of pride.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think that anticipating an 8 week delivery from time of order may be a bit optimistic given all the other posts regarding delays. Fortunately, it appears that current orders do not seem to be subject to the same delays as the earlier ones. A so called 'normal' period was 8 - 10 weeks. If that other vehicle is still in stock, why not speak with your dealer and see if they can arrange to have it delivered for you. Dealers sometimes make these arrangements/swaps quite often if it means a sale.

Peter

I ordered my Rapid Red Platinum on 8/14 and had a vin on 8/20. Still not showing in production at this point.

Update: My dealer just go a star white explorer ST on the lot on Friday, I bought it! Asked to apply my deposit from the limited i ordered to the ST and they were all good with switching out my order. I'm pretty pumped. I liked the ST so much better, especially the rims - i don;t like the hand polished aluminum wheels on the limited - they are too flashy they actually look cheap.

I feel guilty about spending $4k more but i work hard and i deserve a car i love. Plus my husband was all about it - he's excited to drive it when i'm not using it! ha!

Overall the dealer was great, and he was willing to negotiate down. He also mentioned that the new rebates and incentives come out tomorrow and so whatever new deal comes out, i will get that deal. Hopefully i'll have her by the weekend!

Update: My dealer just go a star white explorer ST on the lot on Friday, I bought it! Asked to apply my deposit from the limited i ordered to the ST and they were all good with switching out my order. I'm pretty pumped. I liked the ST so much better, especially the rims - i don;t like the hand polished aluminum wheels on the limited - they are too flashy they actually look cheap.

I feel guilty about spending $4k more but i work hard and i deserve a car i love. Plus my husband was all about it - he's excited to drive it when i'm not using it! ha!

Overall the dealer was great, and he was willing to negotiate down. He also mentioned that the new rebates and incentives come out tomorrow and so whatever new deal comes out, i will get that deal. Hopefully i'll have her by the weekend!
Congrats!!!! I never ordered my Star White ST. I just drove to the dealer to shop, saw it, drove it and bought it. Never knew the ST existed till i saw it

Back