• Register Today It's free!

New Member Here

-red97rum-

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello people. Just wanted to start off by saying THANKS! I've been lurking on your site for the past couple weeks. I've just become the owner of a beat up '94 Explorer with a little over 194,000 miles lol. I recently totalled my car in the rain and only carried liability insurance...:thumbdwn: The Explorer (Exploder as we call it) was my mom's old vehicle and has been sitting in her driveway for about a year. It was offered to me for free so of course I accepted. It didn't run right and my mom didn't know the cause when she parked it.

History:
The year before she parked it she blew a head gasket due to a water pump failure. So my mom had the head gasket job done, along with a new water pump, new radiator, and a new fan. Then the tranny went a couple months after that so she had it rebuilt. Then it started missing really bad so being fed up with it she parked it and it's been sitting ever since.

I decided to check it out to see what needed to be fixed. I took the battery out of my wrecked car, disconnected the coil and cranked her over until I saw the oil pressure gauge move, then I fired her up and it missed like hell.

So...
-I replaced the plugs and wires - no change

Then I checked the codes (CEL blinky trick):
-Had codes for the MAF and cannister purge solinoid.
-I replaced cannister puge solinoid and cleaned MAF and it ran great for 2 min
then started missing again.
-Replaced MAF and all was good!!

I really can't believe how nice this thing runs with so many miles.

Since then I've:

-Replaced power steering pump and lines (that was a *****).
-Changed oil & air filter
-Flushed radiator
-Topped off tranny fluid (still looks real clean) and all other fluids.

Sorry for the life story :eek: but I'm bored at work. Just wanted to let you know how much your site helped me bring this thing back to life.

Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

welcome

Back