New member, looking for a 2014 base model | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member, looking for a 2014 base model

Waylap1

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello, I've been in the market for a new vehicle and I think I've decided on the 2014 Explorer base model with tow package and remote start. I don't think I'll find one on a lot in white like I want so I may order one.
Just wanted to get familiar with concerns, complaints etc before the purchase.
It looks like mainly a transmission complaint of thumping issues but hopefully this is resolved?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked at the base model, 2014. But the interior was definitely a significant step down. The truck I looked at had that slick vinyl type seating that is really hot in the summer. We live in the south, and for the same reason, will never consider leather. Because I'm not high tech, I really liked the base model dials for climate and radio. Ultimately we chose the XLT, with the dual climate/sound system/back up camera/my ford touch. I'd just say sit in the base model and make sure the finish on the seats suits you.

Hope your order goes better than mine. I ordered Dec. 17, 2013 and still don't have my ride. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though. It's been a comedy of events from day one with production revamps, railroad strike and all the snow from the global warming this past winter. I'm told it'll be here in about four more weeks, max. At least my dealer has given me a loaner vehicle till mine comes in. Thank You!
Like Kirstenb said, look at the XLT and drive it before ordering a base. There is a tremendous difference. The base model is designed for those who want little more than a seat and a steering wheel in their transportation. If you drive 3 - 4 hours a day as I do, comfort becomes a big deal. Get the MFT, it's great, been playing with it in the loaner vehicle. Also, at this point you may do well to order a 2015 as I think it's too late to order a 2014. Good luck and enjoy your ride when you get it.

Hello, I've been in the market for a new vehicle and I think I've decided on the 2014 Explorer base model with tow package and remote start. I don't think I'll find one on a lot in white like I want so I may order one.
Just wanted to get familiar with concerns, complaints etc before the purchase.
It looks like mainly a transmission complaint of thumping issues but hopefully this is resolved?
Welcome to the Forum Waylap1.:wavey:
I'm afraid you will have to find one on the lot. Orders for the 2014 models closed some time ago. Orders for the 2015's are now being accepted now with builds slated to begin June 2nd.

Peter

You are going to have to order a 2015 at this point, order banks are closed for 2014's. I can tell you this, what your looking for is not hard to find. I actually just sold the exact explorer your looking for today, minus the remote start. If you tell me where your at I can try and help you locate one.

You are going to have to order a 2015 at this point, order banks are closed for 2014's. I can tell you this, what your looking for is not hard to find. I actually just sold the exact explorer your looking for today, minus the remote start. If you tell me where your at I can try and help you locate one.

I'm in Northern New Hampshire and been using cargurus. Com to try to locate one. I prefer white with the tow package and like the base model to avoid the extra chrome and electronics I don't need.
I suppose a minimal XLT would work but those chrome door handles have to go! Plus, the oem grill color on the base model is nicer I think.

I'm in Northern New Hampshire and been using cargurus. Com to try to locate one. I prefer white with the tow package and like the base model to avoid the extra chrome and electronics I don't need.
I suppose a minimal XLT would work but those chrome door handles have to go! Plus, the oem grill color on the base model is nicer I think.
You can buy door handle covers but the only ones I've been able to find on the Internet are 'chrome' although I'm sure others are available or will be available. Some members have plastic dipped them black. As for the grille, I thought that the Base and XLT had the same silver coloured grille. I've not seen a Base model on the road or at the dealer so I can't be sure. Good luck in your search.

Peter

No love for the chrome door handles? I like them on all models except the Sport where they don't go with the blackout look.

I think the Ex has a rugged look, but with the chrome around the headlights, lower side moldings, tailgate and doors handles, I think it gives it some upscale with the athletic stance, but that's just me.

My Saab is the sport premium model (Aero) and has no chrome except the grill unlike the standard and premium models and I do like that look on a black sports sedan, so maybe I have confused myself :)

I like the chrome look as well. My MKT has a bit of both.

Peter

Attachments

• P4280232_001.JPG
    P4280232_001.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 243

The only one that is showing up right now is one in Tilton, NH at autoserv. It's a base 4x4 with tow pkg, sync, Sirius in white. Here's the window sticker:

https://www.vl.dealerconnection.com...vin=1FM5K8B80EGB71018&dealerpa=08902&vl=F2714

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info! I think my wife and I might go to Tilton today and test drive it! We need to do a Home Depot trip anyway and there's one there too.

Thanks for the info! I think my wife and I might go to Tilton today and test drive it! We need to do a Home Depot trip anyway and there's one there too.

No problem! That's pretty much the only one I saw in New Hampshire in white, that's not to say that dealers aren't hiding their inventory from the ford locator though.

Back