New member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Garciajoaquin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mercury Mountaineer awd
Hi Im new to this forum. I have a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L AWD (same as explorer) with 99,900 miles. I am experiencing some problems with it. First Service Engine Soon light is on. Engine code p0401 Evap system fail. Replaced EGR pressure sensor. Still hesitating. My main problem is a weird noise the front axle makes. It does this noise like when a roller coaster is ascending like a grinding/knocking noise only when going straight and turning right. I went under the truck and i couldnt see a filler hole on the transfer case to see if it is just low on fluid. Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You say axle, but I assume you only hear it while in the cab and driving?

If no busted boots, I'd look else where, could be related to the transfer case, but I'd think you'd have issues moving at all.

Wheel bearings are notorious on these rigs. Due to the style of bearing, yanking on the wheel won't guarantee the detection of a bad bearing.

Yes only when moving foward and turning right is when i can hear this noise. Will replace hub bearing see if it works.

I believe the rule, is that the bad bearing is on the opposite side of the turn. So if you are turning right, the left bearing should be the bad one.

I did all four, so I didn't test this theory.

i took off my front differential and the pinion that drives the gears from the front shaft to the differential is worn out. My question is can i just replace this piece or do i need to buy a whole front differential?

Back