• Register Today It's free!

New muffler on 05 4.0L

Rammer24

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, Saskatchewan,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Had a new muffler put on yesturday and at idle and start up it sounds very good. But when I get on the throttle under load it sounds a bit can like if you know what I mean. So I go back to the shop and tell the guy this and he says to come back monday and he'll put the same muffler on but the step up in size and that should make it more throaty and stay that way through out. If after a test drive it doesn't fix it he'll add a resonator and that should do it. Also I found a place here that is going to fab a cold air intake for the 05 next week. Can't wait.

what muffler? and did you get all new pipes too or just the muffler?

no matter what u do to a V6 exhaust, itll never be completely comparable to a V8 exhaust... u mite be able to get a deeper sound, but when u step on it, its just not gunna have the same effect... i had a 40 delta flowmaster put on mine and i love the sound at idle and low rev... opening it up sounds decent but the rumble of a V8 would be nice... heres mine at idle... i need a new video soon though to really open it up cuz i dont rev much here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YCyyIgZ4Xds

as for the cold air intake, u can get all u need for about 40 bux at a local pepboys (or another place with the two pieces necessary).. if u use ur stock airbox screws, drill a hole in each corner on the "MAF" adapter piece to match the screws, and put the filter ontop, ur ready to go... just be sure to clean it with K&n filter cleaner and oil every few thousand miles necessary... def beats a paper filter with the hassle of purchasing a new clean one, and the lack of horsepower and performance... excuse the dirty picture under the hood... it looks better now i promise haha

2456765_30_full.jpg

Well I think its time to say bye to the V6 and put a SuperCharged 4.6L under the hood. I was at Ford today and they tell me that they will sponsor me and all I have to do is put the dealership logo in the rear window. With the sponsorship they will cut me a deal on the engine and not charge me for the labour to install it. When its all said and done I will owe them $2000. And I have this on paper already. Then the guy tells me that he has some Rancho quick lift shocks for me at cost. And to top it all off my 20 month old son comes into the room and wakes me up. And how many of you thought I wasn't sleeping? Anyway I'll up date you on the new muff setup tomorrow afternoon if I can find time to turn the pc on. sorry guys couldn't resist. Oh and he only changed the muffler and not the pipe. He said the muffler is a high flow and didnt need pipes. If he was doing a magnaflow then he would have to change piping. Kelly has been in the business for 25 years or so and most car guys go to him to get muffler work so if thats what he tells me then I'll listen.

Back