New Rotor install - do bearings, too?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Rotor install - do bearings, too?!

Laura69

Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, TX!
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Expedition
I will be putting new rotors in all around (96 XLT 4WD) this Sunday. I have had conflicting info on the bearings. Can someone indicate if I MUST replace at same time or if they can be left alone during the process? All I have heard is that they are SEALED so I assume that one doesn't repack w/ grease, etc. as in the olden days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do not need to do the bearings when you put on new rotors. Its is true that the front ones are sealed and in order to replace you change the whole piece with the bearings pre-installed. There are expensive so unless you need to leave them be.:)

MUCH thanks for clarification - question, though. What is a good way to know if they do need to be replaced? If the fronts would need it, is it a user item or something one should leave to a good shop? And, btw, what "whole piece" would need to be changed? I've left the manual in the truck so I cannot refer to it - and it is rather unpredictable in accuracy as it seems the `96 was a yr in which many things changed just slightly...LOL

Again, my thanks - I did do a bit of a thread search but didn't see anything that popped right out. Just wanted to note that for anyone who thinks I am lazy. I am, of course, but I did TRY.

Smooch!

Ok well the easy way to tell is if the front hubs have cv joints then you have the sealed bearings. In which case you have to change the whole hub assembly with the bearings in place. The easiest way to test is to jack up the front and with the wheels still on and tight. Place your hands ind the 12 oclock and 6 oclock position and see if you can rock the wheel. A small amount of movement is ok but any more than that and the bearings may require replacement. Also they tend to vibrate or make a noise as they wear.

I KNEW it. I was asking the parts store guy who answered the phone if that was the bearing test and he was "I ain't never heer'd of that" so I doubted myself. LOL Let us hope that the bearings are JUST FINE. LOL Much thanks again for clarification and timely replies! I feel more comfy, now.

Just be carefull when checking for bearing movement that you're not seeing any balljoint movement. Don't just look at the wheel. You need to do as Howard says but look behind or have someone else look behind while you rock the wheel. If you have movement you should be able to see where it is coming from. My thoughts are that the front bearings are so big that they won't wear out in this life time. I can only assume they are the same as my 99, but then again, I don't have auto locking hubs. Mine are permanently connected.

Back