• Register Today It's free!

new shackle

beachguy

Reaction score
City, State
LBI NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Ranger XLT
I am not sure if its a shackle or mount..but the passenger side leaf spring the furtherst piece toward the rear bumper where the bolt/grommetis connected is totally rusted through and is only holding on by a thread, is there somewhere to by a new bracket to bolt leaf spring to it is a old truck, i guess junkyard ,but i am trying to avoid that since there are not many here. 1992 ford ranger xlt...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure if its a shackle or mount..but the passenger side leaf spring the furtherst piece toward the rear bumper where the bolt/grommetis connected is totally rusted through and is only holding on by a thread, is there somewhere to by a new bracket to bolt leaf spring to it is a old truck, i guess junkyard ,but i am trying to avoid that since there are not many here. 1992 ford ranger xlt...thanks
I'd bypass the rusted parts at the junkyard and get a new rear hanger from any Ford dealer - I think they're about $25. Drill or grind the rivets off, punch them out and replace with the bolts in the kit. While you're at it, inspect the other rear hanger and the hanger at the front of each leaf spring. Take a look at the shackles too. All of those parts tend to rust out as the years and miles accumulate.

You can get universal shackles at AutoZone or Warrior153, or make your own.

See links
Warrior153 install
Homemade shackle thread
AutoZone Shackle thread

warrior.jpg

...or you can contact kbabiak on the bottom of the forums page too...;)

Thanks for the replies..it looks like i will have to replace shackle bracket and shackle on both sides..they are rusted beyond belief, It looks like the shackle bracket is bolted on, perhaps it was changed once already,, i guess my best bet is to chisel or cut the bolts off ..ii doubt i will ever get them loose to replace them,i guess i also should get new bushings as well.. i gotta get ri of this rust bucket

You can get universal shackles at AutoZone or Warrior153, or make your own.

Rangers use the kind of shackles that have a bushing on top since the hangers are outboard of the frame;)

I'm also doing this as we speak. New shackles are 17 dollars a piece but the new bolts are 9 bucks each. Good idea on replacing the bushings...I have a bolt that's rusted to the bushing. Good luck with everything.

I'm also doing this as we speak. New shackles are 17 dollars a piece but the new bolts are 9 bucks each. Good idea on replacing the bushings...I have a bolt that's rusted to the bushing. Good luck with everything.

$9 for shackle bolts :crazy:
I would pickup Grade 8 bolts at the hardware store for much cheaper.

I have'nt had time to do mine yet..let me know what to look out for. How did you get the old bolts out?? i am thinking of air chisel please advise

the bolt that will give you the most trouble is the bolt going through the leaf spring's bushing. i used a puller/press tool to get the bolt through. use alot of penetrating oil, air tools help.. its going to be a battle, regardles

Getting the leaf spring shackle bolts out can be a real PITA. In my case the nut s on both leaf springs came right off, but the bolt itself didn't spin as it appeared rusted/fused to the Inner sleeve of the bushing. If this happens you should get a torch (the hotter the better and heat up the bolt until its Red Hot. (keep a fire extinguisher, water, towel handy) Heating will expand the bolt and help loosen/break rust bonds in the process. After heating let cool down and hit the bolt with Penetrating oil, and see if the bolt will now move (using an impact gun is nice as it tends to jar the bolt off instead of using brute force torque like wrench/socket does. Once the bolt starts to spin you can use a hammer on the other side to tap it out at the same time. Using an air hammer is also very effective, but you don't want to jam the bolt. Like dmac0923 I had to use a press ("C" clamp ball-joint tool) to remove one of my really stuck bolts that resisted all the above action.

Back