Need new leaf spring shackle.. quick question.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new leaf spring shackle.. quick question..

m4dioses

Reaction score
So my leaf spring shackle is rotted out (like half of it is missing, lol). I have to drive from Connecticut back to North Carolina like this but as soon as I get back I want to get it fixed.

I was looking at rockauto.com and I see two options when I select Leaf Spring Shackle, they are;

DORMAN Part # 722009 {#F1TZ5630A, F87Z5776AA} Shackle Kit

and

HUSKY SPRING Part # M1729 Spring Shackle
Stamped Metal Shackle; Rear of Rear Spring

...and now for the questions;

Now the DORMAN part is significantly less, it's only $19.99 - why is this? The Husky part is $36.79 This is for the shackle that's at the rear of the vehicle past the tire towards the bumper, correct? Is there any difference in these parts?

Do I need any other parts to replace my leaf spring shackles at the back? There's only two shackles total, right? Feel like I'm missing something here.

Also I intend to replace these shackles and then get a leaf spring helper kit for now since I can't afford to replace the springs themselves just yet and I don't really tow anything. Will the leaf spring helpers reduce some of the sag in the rear of my vehicle or should I just wait until I can afford new springs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the differences may be that the dorman kit may only include the shackle, and nothing else. the other kit my include one bolt, and bushing for the leaf spring. you may also want to go to a ford dealer (because no one else sells them) and grab a frame bushing ( part #F57Z 5A546 AA, make sure you give that to them or they may tell you, you have to buy the entire frame) because the bolt going into that bushing is known to rust in there and never come out.

So my leaf spring shackle is rotted out (like half of it is missing, lol). I have to drive from Connecticut back to North Carolina like this but as soon as I get back I want to get it fixed.

I was looking at rockauto.com and I see two options when I select Leaf Spring Shackle, they are;

DORMAN Part # 722009 {#F1TZ5630A, F87Z5776AA} Shackle Kit

and

HUSKY SPRING Part # M1729 Spring Shackle
Stamped Metal Shackle; Rear of Rear Spring

...and now for the questions;

Now the DORMAN part is significantly less, it's only $19.99 - why is this? The Husky part is $36.79 This is for the shackle that's at the rear of the vehicle past the tire towards the bumper, correct? Is there any difference in these parts?

Do I need any other parts to replace my leaf spring shackles at the back? There's only two shackles total, right? Feel like I'm missing something here.

Also I intend to replace these shackles and then get a leaf spring helper kit for now since I can't afford to replace the springs themselves just yet and I don't really tow anything. Will the leaf spring helpers reduce some of the sag in the rear of my vehicle or should I just wait until I can afford new springs?

I am uncertain about your first question, but as for your second, I would suggest you to call you local suspension shops, and see if they can re arc your leafs springs for you. when you re install swap the sides, so that the more worn out driver side one is on the passenger side, with less of a load.

the differences may be that the dorman kit may only include the shackle, and nothing else. the other kit my include one bolt, and bushing for the leaf spring. you may also want to go to a ford dealer (because no one else sells them) and grab a frame bushing ( part #F57Z 5A546 AA, make sure you give that to them or they may tell you, you have to buy the entire frame) because the bolt going into that bushing is known to rust in there and never come out.

ATS Springs has that bushing I believe it is $10 or so, I got a pair with my leaf spring kit.

I decided I wanted to go with the monroe sensatrac and get the warrior 153 shackles ... the springs are on amazon.com and that's where I plan on getting them. I can't find the bushings anywhere on ATS springs..

Do I need to order anything else with the warrior 153 shackles? Do they come with any hardware or are they really just the shackles?

I decided against the AAL and decided going with high quality shackles would give me a better result and a bit of a lift in the back, the sagging is ridiculous. Looking for a shop in my area to rebend the springs.

I decided I wanted to go with the monroe sensatrac and get the warrior 153 shackles ... the springs are on amazon.com and that's where I plan on getting them. I can't find the bushings anywhere on ATS springs..

Do I need to order anything else with the warrior 153 shackles? Do they come with any hardware or are they really just the shackles?

I decided against the AAL and decided going with high quality shackles would give me a better result and a bit of a lift in the back, the sagging is ridiculous. Looking for a shop in my area to rebend the springs.

I would suggest call them, that is what I did, their site is sort of hard to navigate, just tell them the year, and what it is, and he can let you know what is going on. When I called I was on the phone for 30+ minutes with the guy, and he was very helpful in answering my questions.

Back