• Register Today It's free!

new shock recommendation

01DeepBlue

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I need to buy new front and rear shocks and I'd like any input on what anyone else recommends or better yet any experience on what is on your trucks. I'm probably going to buy KYB and I have a stock height Sport Trac that is a daily driver that always carries a moderate load. Comfort and handling are my prime concerns.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is your budget, and what kind of driving do you do?

Budget isn't much of a concern and I do 99% onroad driving with some offroad at jobsites(rare). Like I said I always carry a light to moderate load in the truck. I'm leaning toward the KYB brand because of reputation and price but I don't know if the Gas-A-Justs or Monomax are right for me. I don't want a shock that is too rigid but I want something firmer than stock. I want good driving comfort and nothing that will jar the teeth out of my head while providing a decent ride.

I assume many of you have replaced your shocks. I'm looking for any feedback on brands/models and particularly any of you that installed KYB shocks. Any opinions are appreciated.

When I had my '05 Trac I simply took it to Sears and got 4 Sensa Tracs installed for $200.
(Originally I ordered Pro Comp shocks but they arrived missing so many small parts plus one was defective out of the box, so I demanded a refund and went to Sears.)

monroe sensatracs seem to be the general consensus among guys who are mostly using their track on-road. i run rancho RS5000's, and i love them. billsteins if your budget permits.

I put Rancho RS5000 on the front and sensatrac load adjusting on the rear
Pleased with the results

I put a set of Monroe air shocks in the back. It's a little more labor intensive to run the air lines, but they ride very nice and empty at about 60 lbs the rear has an easy 2" of lift. Plus they're not very expensive. So far I am very impressed with them. Monroe also makes a set of spring loaded shocks that are supposed to do the same thing. I like being able to adjust the air pressure according to load though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. How do the Rancho RS5000 ride? Do they give a harsh ride?

I put KYB on my 2004 about 4 years back. They still feel the same. My opinion at the time I put them on is that the truck finally drove and felt like a truck should feel. The sloppy shocks that came on it new were never this good.

I put KYB on my 2004 about 4 years back. They still feel the same. My opinion at the time I put them on is that the truck finally drove and felt like a truck should feel. The sloppy shocks that came on it new were never this good.

Thanks for the comment on the KYBs. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was pretty much sold on them but now I have no doubts about buying a full set. Rock Auto has a good price and there is a $40 rebate until 4/30/14 for the KYB brand.

I second the Monroe Air shocks. I used to haul stuff in the bed and tow trailers around and needed something to level the truck out. They did the job for several years until I turned it into a trail rig with a lot of lift.

I second the Monroe Air shocks. I used to haul stuff in the bed and tow trailers around and needed something to level the truck out. They did the job for several years until I turned it into a trail rig with a lot of lift.

I would have considered a load assist or heavy duty shock but I usually only carry an extra 200-300lbs in the bed and another 200-300lbs in the cab as well. I wanted to retain a decent ride since my truck rarely goes offroad and typically that's only when it's an unfinished driveway(rock or dirt) or on the dirt at a construction site but even then it's not that common.
I opted for the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks which are increased performance/handling over stock. Past experience with KYB has always made me a happy customer. There was a nice $40 rebate at Rock Auto too.

I've heard good things with KYB.

After almost losing control running down the highway and hitting a small bump, I finally decided to purchase a new set of shocks. I just bought a set of KYB Gas-a-Just shocks from Summitracing.com for $161.44. As soon as they arrive, I'll install them and tell you how they feel.

^ THREE years later the OP can give YOU a review on his KYB's. ;)

Yeah, let us know. I have some Rancho RS5000s on the front and some Pro Comp ES9000s on the rear. Just replaced the stabilizer shock.

Back