jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
Lovely sunny day so I decided to change the plugs -

Set a new personal best of 35mins for all 6 :D

my method only involves a stubby 3/8th ratchet, a 3" and 6" extension and 2 inches of gaffer tape.

all plugs with the exception of the front left hand plug can be reached with the short extension.

The gaffer tape is used to lock the extension bar to the plug socket so you can pull the socket off the plug.

no cut-outs in the wheel arch liners either.

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wouldn't want to help me with mine would you :D

You wouldn't want to help me with mine would you :D

You should give it a go yourself as this is a right of passage kind of thing :D

ive done it in 40mins but i go though the wheel arch-ive done it so many times now its like second nature now!!lol

I have the tools required in a special part of my toolbox, lest I forget which ones I need.

The other part of the tool kit is a strong florist bucket to stand on (about 20 inches high) apparently at one point yesterday I was on one leg with the other straight out for balance and my left arm in the air.

good job there are no pictures:D

Sorry guys, but there's no way I'm going to try this myself as I'll end up breaking off a spark plug or something similarly significant :p

While the subject is on topic what do people think of the service interval for standard plugs on a standard engine? Is the 60k interval about right or far too long?

Just wondering...

SS

As I run 98% of the time on LPG, my opinion may not count :)

but I find that I get no more than 25k out of a set.

I can tell that they need changing as I get a hesitation at about 2500 RPM, which as long as I don't press the pedal harder will clear itself in 5 seconds.

A plug change sorts it right out.

I gap the plugs at 35 thou to run on LPG

Interestingly the plugs I remove look fine, gaps are as I set them originally, colour looks good and very clean so I don't know what happens to them

cheers

Jim

Can someone here help with the firing order diagram for the 2004 explorer XLT 4.0
Thanks

Cylinderkey40SOHC.jpg

Back