spark plug removal

alan13henderson

Reaction score
City, State
colchester uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 northface
Hi
How do you replace passenger side front spark plug behind air con on a 2000 northface?
Replaced all plugs on previous 97 XLT, not easy but did them.
Bought Northface and service bits from ebay and just working through the car. Replaced all brakes, front hubs, front roll bar links, oils, belt, air filter, wiper blades, tyres, alloys refurbd, got sidesteps and towbar still to fit, full sized spare tyre sourced, waiting for proper fuel filter - its smaller than XLT unit duh!
Replaced 5 of the plugs and leads but left with last one behind air con unit. They have obviously been in there for a while as rusty and electrodes well worn.
Replaced them through a mix of wheel arch access and from above. Got a magnetic flex joint plug socked, 3/8 drive.
I figure I can touch plug with tip of my finger but thats about it. Fixed air con pipery obscures from above and below. Almost as if only way to do it is to remove aircon unit/pipes!!!!
Any tips on how to do this? what exact tools used and from above or below?
Thanks in advance.

PS anyone got a load area cover in the cream or a set of the ford mudflaps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for that last plug I use a 6" extension with the plug socket gaffer taped to the extension and then once the socket is on the plug (accessed from above using left hand and from the right with right hand) I put the second extension on the end and use a stubby ratchet handle to undo.

cheers

Jim

thanks
Ill give it a try tonight assuming my ravaged hands can stand another attempt!

Thanks for this advice. I am planning on changing plugs and leads on a 99 north face but, looking at access was going to ask the same question. I have LPG piping to contend with too. Anyway, thanks for the clues and where's the best place to get new leads? There are a few advertised on Ebay but I'm never quite sure and sending stuff back's a pain! Graham.

I plan on at least a pair of neopreen gloves for each plug when I change them, just to save my hands

did last one last night, flexible joint 3/8drive magnetic plug socket, 14.5 inches of extension bars and out it came, all to easy.
I usually get my stuff from ebay - USauto always good, supply and price - they ask for VIN number and confirm/supply what will fit.
Ive just replaced plugs, leads, oil and air filter, oil, serpentine belt, fuel filter and running injector cleaner through now. Seems like a different car - engine so much more smooth.

After having a hell of a time replacing and paying my mechanic to take the last rear passenger spark plug out i think i found the easier way.

When swapping out my Front shocks this last week for Bilstein's i took out the inner fender protector and low and behold can easily see all the passenger spark plugs right thru the tire well..

I didn't try it but i think this might be the easiest way to access that pesky plug.

thats how i have done mine(ive had to do it 3 times in 8 months due to runing petrol right down and leaning it out and burning them out!)that and the stubby ratchet way with cut up hands!!!!

Back