New sport trac owner also new to forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New sport trac owner also new to forum

TigOlBittys

Reaction score
City, State
BC Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Hey there I am a new 01 sport trac owner, and also new to the thread.
I feel like I got a great deal on my sport trac, but one of the sacrafices of that was my four wheel drive does not work. Before I bought the truck they said they "think" the problem is the 4x4 control module. When I went to look at the truck I made sure I asked if they knew for sure what was wrong with the 4x4, and they had said they talked with the technitian and he said it was the 4x4 module and it would cost me $800 for them to fix it. I do not beileve he is right and I think it is a more simple fix, hopefuly you guys can help. I have looked at the other threads relating to this question but I have not found my answer yet. I am leaning towards the transfer case shift motor being the problem though because:

When I start the truck both of the 4x4 lights on the dash flash then go off.

also when I turn the 4x4 switch I hear a ticking from the control module behind the glove box, but the lights on the dash do not light up and I never get any clunk as if the truck has shifted.
also if I leave the switch turned to 4x4 low or high I get a consistant click every 5 or 10 seconds.

I noticed my symptoms are slightly different than the others on this forum as usually people get no lights on the dash and no clicking hand in hand. I on the other hand get a clicking and no lights and no clunk. If anyone has any opinion it would be great, thanks.

Back