New the Forum - New to Me 2015 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New the Forum - New to Me 2015 PIU

i_i

Reaction score
City, State
SW Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
I'm glad I found this forum. It appears a lot of you know what you're talking about and I'm excited to get FORscan installed on the laptop and check out and tweek all the features of my new ride.

I just picked up a relatively low mileage 2015 PIU (71K, 479 idle hours). It still has a lot of the equipment that the department must have installed in it. They are still wired up (with exception of the front-facing camera). Here are a few of the goodies it came with:
  • Panasonic WJ-VR30 network recorder with 2x 256 GB Toshiba SSD Drives full of .AV3 files (anyone know software to open/view these? VLC doesn't open them)
  • Panasonic WV-VC30 camera
  • 2x Panasonic WV-VC32 cameras - one pointed in the rear passenger area and one looking out the back window for a rear-view
  • Havis CM004832 console with always-on 12VDC ports and a mystery toggle switch which isn't wired to anything
  • Havis DS-PAN-700 laptop mount (removed and in my garage)
  • AUX and USB* Sync already installed and working (as well as Bluetooth)
Unfortunately, it does not have the back-up camera and coming from a coupe to this larger vehicle it would be nice to have one to make aware of my surroundings. Hopefully I can get it up and running using FORscan. If you have any tips to enable this with an OEM camera, let me know.

Greetings to everyone on this forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I am new myself and also just picked up a 2015 two weeks ago. Little more miles than yours, 125k. If you dont mind me asking, what did you get yours for? Its nice it came with some of those features. Mine was a PA Trooper vehicle so everything was gutted. Currently looking for a console and some other odds and ends.

Welcome to the forum. I am new myself and also just picked up a 2015 two weeks ago. Little more miles than yours, 125k. If you dont mind me asking, what did you get yours for? Its nice it came with some of those features. Mine was a PA Trooper vehicle so everything was gutted. Currently looking for a console and some other odds and ends.

Hi Alex, payed $14K out the door with tags and taxes. I talked them down because of the corrosion and paint bubbling issue on the hood. I hope a body shop visit can fix that, but I have my doubts. It seems that it is a galvanic corrosion problem. The body shop guy quoted me $450 to fix the paint.

Thats not too bad especially with the extra features. I paid 7k for mine with 125k miles. Only current issue is an airbag light which I scanned but havnt felt like dealing with just yet. Something with a passenger side sensor.

Thats not too bad especially with the extra features. I paid 7k for mine with 125k miles. Only current issue is an airbag light which I scanned but havnt felt like dealing with just yet. Something with a passenger side sensor.
Only 7K for a 2015? Nice work! That's a steal. How many idle hours?

Welcome to the Forum. I'm a new member myself and just got an 18 PIU. You got a lot of interesting "cop stuff" with yours.

Big fun with PIU's

Enjoy

I'm not sure what value the recording equipment has as it uses an encrypted file format that I believe requires access to Panasonic software/servers. I'm not sure if it's LE only or if other security firms might have a use for it, but I don't think you'll be able to do much with it.

Paint bubbles on the hood can be fixed, but the current TSB from Ford says to replace the hood, not clean/seal/repaint, so not sure how long a clean/seal/repaint will last.

Hi Alex, payed $14K out the door with tags and taxes. I talked them down because of the corrosion and paint bubbling issue on the hood. I hope a body shop visit can fix that, but I have my doubts. It seems that it is a galvanic corrosion problem. The body shop guy quoted me $450 to fix the paint.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked to see if the vehicle actually has a rearview camera installed? On the retail Explorer it is mounted under the chrome strip and above the rear license plate. As for the bubbled paint on the hood, it may return again. This is not an isolated issue. Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter

I've got the same issue with my '13..its the seat tensioner....my buddy is a tech at Ford and we can't get it to go away...

I've got the same issue with my '13..its the seat tensioner....my buddy is a tech at Ford and we can't get it to go away...

What all have you tried to get it to go away?

What all have you tried to get it to go away?

We figured it out last night....i have seats from an '11 or '12 in a '13 PIU. They changed the tensioner and seat belt buckle from the '12s to the '13s. We basically had to take the sensor out of the buckel from the 13 and wire it to the seat tensioner sensor on the seat from the 12. A real PITA but it was was the ECU was looking for....

Back