Any 2011+ ham radio guys?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any 2011+ ham radio guys??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is a police cargo platform?

rear-seat-delete-complete.jpg

rear-seat-delete-3.jpg

The How-To:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419317

I just fininshed refitting my 2016 explorer XLT. Kenwood TM-V71A remote head mounted with velcro on the center console under the ac controls - so if i have to get into the small console compartment where the USB plug is, I can just pull it off easily. Main radio unit is mounted under the passenger seat via two strips of metal bolted to the seat base which i drilled and used nuts and bolts. I ran the wire from the radio to the remote head under the side of the center console - there is a split in the carpet under the seat that leads into the console - once under the instrument panel it was easy to fish it thru the very small opening above that same small center console compartment top. That top is very flexible so i could bend it a bit for the plug to come thru.

MIcrophone cord went under the carpet - under the console and up to the left side - came out right at the foot heat vent ( the very front of the console side panel) - and then used velcro to mount the microphone receptacle to the side of the console. Then i used velcro to mount a microphone clip to the side of the console to hook the microphone.

Power wires went under the carpet and out via the existing plug under the carpet just behind the driver's seat. Then i went towards the rear and feed them around the existing tubing using wire ties to secure them. I covered the wires with a sleeve and then plastic shielding to be safe . I connected to both poles of the the battery and used an exterior (waterproof) in line fuse on the positive side.I also used the existing radio power wires which are fused on both power and ground. Judicious used of sealer both top and bottom made sure there will be no leaks. Note that i ran extra wires in my made up harness just in case for any possible future project.

The antenna is a NMO Mount on top. Headliner is held in via magnets and i pulled back the r/r door trim and weatherstrip so i could pull down the headliner enough to fish the antenna cable - then ran it down the pillar and under the carpet to the radio. VSWR 1.2 to 1 is about as perfect as it gets.

The unit looks like it belongs there and with the wires hidden - one has to look hard to see anything.

There are ac vents under the seats so i slightly raised the radio so as not to put the radio in the airstream. It's easy to see and do once you look under there.

For those people who just have to go thru the firewall - there are two places that i have found - neither is easy but here goes.
One you can drill to the left and slightly below the steering column
Two - you can drill behind the glove box but need to be extra careful not tro drill into the evaporator case. Radio pro showed me this as he was doing it and it is something i cannot recommend.

--
One last note for people tempted to tie into existing harness wires. Over the years working in dealerships = I have seen plenty of airbags exploded, cars that would not start because the PCM was corrupted, ABS lights flash on and intermitent nonsense all caused by some non-oem connection. Today's' vehicles have a ton of things feeding information to the computer. Extra connections create "noise" in the system that drives the computers ( and technicians) crazy. Even something as innocuous as tapping into an existing ground can cause feedback so be careful.

I've been a ham (tech) since 2006. My call sign is the same as my forum user name, KI4NPZ. I have not yet installed any radios in my Explorer; I've only had the car for a little over a week. I will before too long though I have a Yaseu 7900 (I think) 2m/440 radio and an Larsen NMO that I plan to mount to the roof.

I've been a ham (tech) since 2006. My call sign is the same as my forum user name, KI4NPZ. I have not yet installed any radios in my Explorer; I've only had the car for a little over a week. I will before too long though I have a Yaseu 7900 (I think) 2m/440 radio and an Larsen NMO that I plan to mount to the roof.

Hello Craig,
I initially hesitated quite awhile before I did mine - but now that I did it, I ( and my xyl) are happy with the install. The headliner is held in by magnets so the NMO mount is easy. I also waxed my roof prior to the hole being drilled and then taped the area off to prevent metal chips from getting into the paint. Holler if you have problems.

john
n2rdv

K1JJN here. Just replaced my 2008 Mountaineer with a 2014 Explorer. Going to be adding in my FT-7800 and a Uniden 996 scanner in soon.

Here's my setup in a 2016 sport. I actually took a bunch of video clips thinking I was going to make a youtube video but never did. Maybe this weekend I'll edit it and actually post it for all to see.

IMG_6770.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

Where did you mount the antenna? I have that large moonroof which means a roof mount is going to be somewhat directional.

Peter

Where did you mount the antenna? I have that large moonroof which means a roof mount is going to be somewhat directional.

Peter

I went without a moon roof, but from work, I know that u can drill 9” in front of the stock fin antenna and be good. I’m not sure how far the moon roof goes back but if u have that 9” ur good.

I have my comet B10nmob mounted on that rear most nmo and haven’t had any probs with the pattern. I’ve put a 6m 1/4 wave and Larsen nmo27 for cb there and haven’t had any problems with the pattern. The Larsen 2/70 nmo works great there as well on long distant road trips.

Then again I have the whole roof to help me with ground plane. I think if u mount one there u have enough metal for 440 and possibly 2m to give a decent omi pattern.

I went without a moon roof, but from work, I know that u can drill 9” in front of the stock fin antenna and be good. I’m not sure how far the moon roof goes back but if u have that 9” ur good.

Thanks but I can't drill. The Explorer is a lease. I used a mag mount on the last Highlander I had but it had a flat roof behind the glass panel.

Peter

THAT IS CLEAN! I wanted to get into amateur radio when I had the Explorer and wire it up. Never got around to it. That display looks PERFECT up top.

Two Way Radio Install

I hope I have the right forum. I'm looking for ideas on getting power to a dual-band ham radio to place inside my 2011 Explorer. Does anyone have any suggestions on going through the firewall or obtaining power inside the cabin?

Thanks!
I have a 2016 explorer and ran the power cabling under the vehicle and up thru the floor just ahead of the 2nd bench seat. There is a rubber grommet in the floor that works fine.
Once the power is inside it is easy to snake around the carpet and various trim, console etc.. I have a Kenwood TM-V71A and the remote head is held by velcro to the space above the
small compartment in the center console. I used Heavy duty Velcro and it has held fine thru the years. MIcrophone connector is mounted inside the console and the microphone itself has a holder screwed into the side of the console since no tape would hold it. I Cut a NMO antenna mount in the roof - headliner provides plenty of access.

I gave up getting power Through the firewall - it's just too darn tight under there but if someone finds a way then i will check it out.

Good Luck
John
N2RDV

Thanks but I can't drill. The Explorer is a lease. I used a mag mount on the last Highlander I had but it had a flat roof behind the glass panel.

Peter

I never had a single problem turning in a lease with a cap over the roof mount. Truth be told no one ever sees it or they just don't care.

Peter

Okay, it only took me three years to make this, but here it is. My youtube video on the ham radio install.

Back