• Register Today It's free!

New to Forum, Rough running.

BlueDemon302

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 2X4
Hello all, I have been putting this off for too long.
I will try to keep this short, please, any help is welcomed!

I inherited my Grandfathers 93 XLT 2X4 Explorer a few years back. drove it once in awhile. Finally, having some money available, it needed a lot of TLC. Since day one, it has run a tiny bit rough, just enough to let you know. Then, last august, drove to work, just fine. Then, just after I fired it up to go home, starts running really rough, lack of power, almost sounded like it has a "dead hole" and the exhaust pipe seems to "pulse" its "regularly irregular" like its "missing" and the exhaust smells... "normal" the rough running is noticeable even at part throttle/cruise, you can feel the roughness in the seat of your pants.
Threw check engine light, for the IAT sensor out of range. Well, I had replaced it several months before, and it was under warranty. Got a new one, still ran very rough, and check engine light is gone, and HAS NOT RETURNED. Since then, I have tested and replaced TONS of stuff and STILL haven't fixed it. I went online, found an original, dealership mechanic issue "powertrain and emissions control diagnostics" book, and a "engine and power train mechanical" book to assist with diagnostics.
I have driven the truck a few times, around town, highway, etc to attain proper operating temp, to see if it goes away.

Before the incident, like at least 2 months, and a maximum of 12 months, I did various repairs the truck needed.
Replace radiator, hoses, thermostat, waterpump, fuel pump, Evap purge solenoid, all intake manifold gaskets,

Here is the list of things I have checked and tested ok trying to fix this issue:
IAC, TPS, EGR, EVR, DPFE, FPR, ECT, Coil Pack, ALL vacuum lines, no leaks.

Replaced Since incident with new parts
Spark plugs, plug wires, O2 Sensors, Gas Cap, fuel injectors, PCM.

Tested/replaced/ swapped with junkyard parts to check for changes in how it runs, with no changes.
ICM, MAF, CKP, CAS,

Im not sure where to go next. I did Seafoam the intake, and I got "Seafoam Fog" from the BACK of the engine bay, way before I saw the Fog exit the exhaust pipe at rear of vehicle. Clogged exhaust? I did a vacuum test this evening, and seems like its ok-ish, holding steady at about 18lbs, (spec is 16+) but I might have a restricted exhaust. Going to try to drop the Catalytic Converter Assembly (Thank you california!) and inspect for clogs tomorrow maybe.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions on what to do next?! I am at an absolute loss here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You've definitely checked a lot...

I wonder if the catalytic converter has become restricted. It does happen and given the age it is a possibility. Other than that, I'm stumped.

You've definitely checked a lot...

I wonder if the catalytic converter has become restricted. It does happen and given the age it is a possibility. Other than that, I'm stumped.
yea, thats about where im at. The truck had 92k on it when i got it, (yes, only 92k) it has 100,300k now.

may have had something crawl into the exhaust and build a nest. it happens.

may have had something crawl into the exhaust and build a nest. it happens.

Gentleman, I appreciate your responses :)
I'm going to put truck in garage and inspect exhaust today.
Cross your fingers!

If I remember right, with a restricted exhaust, you can check the vacuum gauge and give it a little throttle and hold it and the vacuum will start to fall after a bit. This is because with excess pressure going out, it has a harder time breathing in and thus less vacuum.

I would suggest running the KOEO, KOER, and MEM test series as lots of codes will not cause a Check Engine light, Running a compression test would also be a good idea and will help establish a baseline.

Best of Luck

Back