new to site few questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to site few questions.

droid1101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mercury mountaineer
I have a 2002 mountaineer with few mods i just ordered a bull bar for front and read about cutting bumper how much do i cut can i use a cut off wheel. anyone have any pictures of the holes they cut? also is there any lifts out there for mountaineers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't have to cut anything...what kind did you buy?

The only means of lifting our trucks are with body lifts and spacer lifts, but there is a member that is working on a 6 and 8 inch bolt on suspension lift but that is going to run $2200 to $2800.

1.5" body lift - $50
3" body lift - $200
1" - 2.25" space lift - $250

Where can i get the body lift at is that a bolt on or something shop should do. The bull bar is made by black horse identical to westin.

The 1.5" body lift follow this thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312012)

You won't be able to find a shop to do this for you because it is not a "direct fit" as specified by the manufacturer and will cost you way too much in labor for a shop to do it since it takes between7 and 9 hours.

As for the bull bar, I'm not sure about cut's because I do not know how that mounts up.

The "grille guards" that most of us have do not require cutting because the mount comes out and bolts onto the grille guard in front of the bumper where i see the westin bull bars, the bar bolts to the mount behind the bumper so idk if the mount sits low enough so that the tube doesn't interfere with the bumper.

Kyle. Mountineer owners don't have it as easy as us. The bottom of they're frame rails are covered by thier front bumper cover. Ie, they can't put f150 tow hooks on their trucks without cutting the bumper, with explorers we just remove the lower valance pieces and viola.

Droid, try searching the site for other "bull bar" related threads and see if other mountineers have bull bars mounted and ask those guys, that'd be your best bet

Any good performance mods I know with the 4.6 its a little sluggish. I have fliwmaster forty series and intake.

How can It be sluggish with the 4.6? That's the biggest motor option from the factory for the explorer.

Put a K&N Cold Air Intake on her. or a tune from Henson

How can It be sluggish with the 4.6? That's the biggest motor option from the factory for the explorer.

Put a K&N Cold Air Intake on her. or a tune from Henson

Word!! Has more HP than the 5.0 and only like 30 less than the stang!

I think its just cause I had a supercharged car before this and I'm not used to having an suv lol I wouldn't of bought it if it was a 4.0 cause of towing and everything. Is there a link to Henson tune. I read superchips is not really a good chip for this.

I think its just cause I had a supercharged car before this and I'm not used to having an suv lol I wouldn't of bought it if it was a 4.0 cause of towing and everything. Is there a link to Henson tune. I read superchips is not really a good chip for this.

www.hensonperformance.com

When you call him tell him you're on Explorerforum.com and he'll give you a great deal on a tuner and 3 custom tunes.

Looks like I will be ordering the Henson tune for 389 is there a nice improvement over stock. Quick question how do you remove front license plate holder I will post pictures when bull bar is installed

Looks like I will be ordering the Henson tune for 389 is there a nice improvement over stock.

It wasn't a huge improvement over stock as far as power. To get the most benefit you need to run 89 or 93 octane. The shift point changes are nice though. Mainly I used my tuner to compensate for larger tires and the 4.10 axle gears.

Yea is it normal for these to shift weird feels like sometimes it drags out before it shifts

Will I have to drill out front license plate Rivets

I installed bull bar installation was piece of cake they now make brackets for mountaineer no bumper cutting thank God well spent 230 dollars I will post pictures when I get a chance

Back