new to suspension-------need a question answered | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to suspension-------need a question answered

ford5_0

Reaction score
ok guys, ive been readin some of these posts, and im really new to all this big-time suspension stuff, and i was wondering what the difference between a body-lift and a suspension lift is...i can figure out it means rasing the body or the suspension, but what does it involve?...like how is the body lifted??....and why would you get a body lift over a suspension lift??..would u even get a body lift without gettin a suspension lift??...any answers to my questinos will be appreciated..thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ford5_0,
The body lift is the least expensive means of providing tire clearance, without sacrificing factor suspension geometry. The lift involves replacing the factor body mounts with aftermarket hardware. The down side is a body lift does not increase undercarage clearance or provide increased suspension travel.

A suspension lift involves replacing or modifing spring heights to raise the truck. This provides clearance for the undercarage and increased suspension travel. Although more costly than the body lift, it is the best alternative for off-road.

Hope that helps.

You can also have both at the same time. a suspension lift to raise the undercarrage, and a body lift to get bigger tires after adding the suspension lift. Suspension lifts are the best way to go. They are more sturdy, and they keep the center of gravity lower that a body lift.

------------------
1992 XLT, 4x4, 4.0L EFI

The body lift keeps a lower center of gravity than the suspension lift, since the chassis and power train stay closer to the ground.

thanks for the info on both..also another question...about how much would a body lift cost for a '99 explorer sport, ballpark range...and where would i get something like that installed at?...also would gettin a body lift without gettin a suspension lift make the vehicle look kinda funny, like it had been lifted but the suspension hadnt been lifted??....thanks..

I have a 97 Explorer Sport V6 4.0 5-speed 2WD, Its the model with running boards and fender flares and I am pretty sure it has some sort of stock lift? I wanted to lift it but I am not sure what are my options. I have heard that the 97 model has different suspension than the previous and I am not sure if anyone makes a lift kit for it? I dont really go off-roading I may after I lift it though, what would be a good hight to lift it to 3"? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am really new to this scene.

Thanks =)

------------------
97 Explorer Sport
V6 4.0L 5-Speed

Body lifts usually run about $100 to $150 for the kit. This is the price uninstalled (installation is fairly easy so I've always done mine myself... so I have no idea what installation runs). Although these kits are available in 2" and 3" heights, I would recommend tht 2"... any higher, and brake lines, gas hoses, steering columns, floor shifters begin to s t r e t c h to their limits. A body lift really won't make your vehicle look funny unless you don't use bumper brackets to align your bumpers... since the bumpers aren't attached to the body, there is a gap left between the body and the bumpers when the body is lifted, so you'll need to get special brackets to lift the bumpers too. Many kits include these brackets, but make sure you find out before you buy. Hope this helps out.

ThedoN-
I believe your Explorer does have torsion-type front suspension which means you can "twist" up the height. Try a search for "torsion" and a lot of stuff should pop up with more info on this. For the rear you may want to use extended shackles or an add-a-leaf. This is probably the cheapest and easiest way to lift yours if you don't plan to do any hardcore off-roading. (you could also opt for a body lift) As for how high to lift, I've found that going through the photo gallery on this website gives a good idea of what various lift heights look like... and what kind of lifts folks are using for various degrees of off-roading. Good luck!

Thanks for all of you info guys.

I have been researching a body lift and I to my surprize there are no body nor suspension lift kits avialible for my explorer. The offroad store that I went to stated that Trailmaster is releasing a 4 inch suspension lift in a few months for 2,000 installed. That is a little expensive for me, for now I am just going to put 30 or 31 inch tires on my explorer.

Once again thanks for all of you info!

------------------
97 Explorer Sport
V6 4.0L 5-Speed

Just had my 1996 Explorer EB "lifted" in other words it was a custom suspension lift... with a modified body lift...
what they tried was....twisting the torsion bar up to its fullest..(about 2")which I wasnt happy with...so...being the female that I am ...I wanted to change my mind...
they had another idea in mind however...
(since its still in the shop I don't know the exact mod they are doing ) they are putting on another heavy duty torsion bar that they can twist and lift it another two inches for a total of 4" that is all...it wasn't costing me any more money than the later so I said "go ahead"

now I will get 5" of add a leafs in the rear...(to take up the famous Explorer sag)

[This message has been edited by ExplorerEB96 (edited 02-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExplorerEB96:
Just had my 1996 Explorer EB "lifted" in other words it was a custom suspension lift... with a modified body lift...
what they tried was....twisting the torsion bar up to its fullest..(about 2")which I wasnt happy with...so...being the female that I am ...I wanted to change my mind...
they had another idea in mind however...
(since its still in the shop I don't know the exact mod they are doing ) they are putting on another heavy duty torsion bar that they can twist and lift it another two inches for a total of 4" that is all...it wasn't costing me any more money than the later so I said "go ahead"

now I will get 5" of add a leafs in the rear...(to take up the famous Explorer sag)

[This message has been edited by ExplorerEB96 (edited 02-26-2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi ExplorerEB96,
Welcome to our little slice of Explorer Heaven. I'm sure you will find this place the best Website for Explorers on the internet.

As far as I know, 2" is the max that can be lifted using the torsion bar twist method, because lifting it anymore than that will cause the angle of the CV joints to be too great and either bind or wear rapidly or both when the wheel had downward articulation. In order for you to get more than 2" the whole suspension has to be modified. To date some places have modified the 4" Superlift kit from a 98 Ranger to fit on the Explorer. I have seen Trailmasters 4" lift, at Truck Haven, but it is available to the public yet. If they say they can lift your truck 4" using the torsion bar twist, ask them how they intent to take care of the radical angle at the CV joints. Do you mind if I ask you what they are charging you for this 4" lift? Hope this helps.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back