new to this site, need some electrical help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to this site, need some electrical help

Winter96

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have Ford Explorer 2002 that has the alarm system going off randomly, this is causing a problem with my neighbors. Is there a way to disarm it on my own? Also my front low beam and high beams don't work. All other lights are functioning. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have Ford Explorer 2002 that has the alarm system going off randomly, this is causing a problem with my neighbors. Is there a way to disarm it on my own? Also my front low beam and high beams don't work. All other lights are functioning. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Need more info. Is this the horn that is "going off"? Cannot say for certain on a 2002, but my 2004 only has provision for horn blowing by depressing the horn button on the key fob. Opening a door after electronically "arming", that is, locking doors using the fob, does NOT actuate horn.

If your vehicle has had an aftermarket alarm system installed, it could be causing the trouble. If it has not, then the problem lies in the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System Transceiver. It is located in the steering column surrounding the lock cylinder.

This is not a do-it-yourself repair problem, as the PATS system is capable of disabling the engine from being started. If you can "live" without a horn, disconnect them.

Regarding NO HEADLIGHTS, check fuse first, F1.22 in Battery Junction box under hood, 20 amperes rating. If fuse OK, check headlight switch. If headlight switch OK, then Multifunction Switch in steering column ("high beam, low beam dimmer switch), If Multifunction Switch OK, then check headlamp bulbs-- extremely unlikely they are all bad.

Good luck. imp

Thank you for the info. I'll go check it out. If everything checks out then I'll probably have to bring it to a car alarm place, huh? Thanks again

My stock system does utilizes the OE horns when opening the door 'armed.'
[MENTION=291854]Winter96[/MENTION], do you have an aftermarket alarm?

The aftermarket code alarm system has an adjustment for sensitivity. It's just a small knob. Another thing it could be is an intermittent door switch making the car think the door is being opened.

Hello. I am new to the site. I read the above post by winter96.
I have a similar issue which I am hoping you will be able to advise me with. My wife has a 2002 explorer and Occasionally she would get a door ajar light. I would open and shut all the doors and back liftgate window but most times it didn't do any good...there were a few times that the back tailgate window was not latched because the button on the fob that unlatched it was accidently hit, but that wasn't usually the case. 99% of the time we were unable to make the door ajar light go away. So We just ignored the light and went about driving when it came on and we couldn't remedy it. Often when we finished driving and used the fob to lock the doors we'd hear the DOUBLE HONK, HONK,indicating that the doors weren't locked. No real problem either because we knew the doors were all locked regardless of what the horn said. This became a random thing, no ryhme or reason, often weeks apart the door ajar would come on and we would go into our routine of checking the back window and doors and find nothing was ajar!
Then a few months ago the door ajar light came on again but this time the interior lights also came on and the door ajar light was flashing on and off. This became a real nuisance when it happened after dark. I then did some reading from a post on this site and decided to take the panel off the rear lift gate and investigate. i fond a wire that was worn and the insulation rubbed off. I replaced the bad section then re-insulated. This seemed to work fine, for a couple weeks, then the light showed up again. I re-checked my repair and it looked fine. The door ajar light wasn't showing, maybe my wiggling the connection I made did something? Probably not, but it appeared that maybe it was fixed...It wasn't, and this became another random on again off again thing...
Also the anti theft alarm would start going off in the middle of the night waking us up and probably waking a few neighbors as well. I would grab the key fob, go toward the door getting in range reset the alarm. I did this a few times before deciding to leave the explorer unlocked, hoping that we could get some sleep.
My wife works 2nd shift and a week or so ago when she got home she told me that the door ajar began flashing and also the interior lights were coming on again...it had only done this once or twice before but not since I 'fixed' the bad wire. we had gone a few weeks without an incident. I told her that I would check it in the morning.
The next morning when I went to check it, the battery was completely drained! I then made arrangements for her to get to work...later I put the battery on my battery charger and started googling and searching for information. I read somewhere on this website that someone with a similar problem was able to disconnect the alarm by unclipping the rear wires and jumping the clips? I tried this but it had no effect either.
in an attempt to isolate or narrow down where the problem may be coming from I rolled all 4 windows down then using the fob 'set' the alarm by locking the doors. I then reached inside and manually unlocked one door at a time and then opened each door after locking and re-setting each time. I found that doing this revealed that when I opened the drivers side front door it Failed to trip the alarm, likewise the rear passenger door did not trip the alarm, but the front passenger and rear drivers door did trigger the alarm...I then pulled the door panels off but didn't find any loose ground wires or anything suspicious.
A buddy of mine said he'd take a look at it. He found that there was a steady 4amp draw that was draining the battery. He then said that the drivers side latch was sticking, so he used some wd40 on it, as well as the other latches and sure enough the 'door ajar' light went out. He was still getting a .035 draw which was acceptible because of the alrm and clock etc...
I brought the explorer home and parked it, locking it and hearing the normal ONE honk. GREAT! BUT 2 hours later the horn began honking and the lights flashing again! The door ajar light is NOT showing but something is still wrong with the anti-theft...hopefully nothing major...I am lost...any suggestions will be very much appreciated!
Everything is stock on he explorer, nothing after market that I am aware of, though I did buy it used...
Is there any chance that I can just eliminate the anti theft? I have been told that this is not possible by a couple people who both say that the starter is tied into the anti theft and makes impossible to isolate...but one person says yes it can be done?
Thanks!

Hello. I am new to the site. I read the above post by winter96.
I have a similar issue which I am hoping you will be able to advise me with. My wife has a 2002 explorer and Occasionally she would get a door ajar light. I would open and shut all the doors and back liftgate window but most times it didn't do any good...there were a few times that the back tailgate window was not latched because the button on the fob that unlatched it was accidently hit, but that wasn't usually the case. 99% of the time we were unable to make the door ajar light go away. So We just ignored the light and went about driving when it came on and we couldn't remedy it. Often when we finished driving and used the fob to lock the doors we'd hear the DOUBLE HONK, HONK,indicating that the doors weren't locked. No real problem either because we knew the doors were all locked regardless of what the horn said. This became a random thing, no ryhme or reason, often weeks apart the door ajar would come on and we would go into our routine of checking the back window and doors and find nothing was ajar!
Then a few months ago the door ajar light came on again but this time the interior lights also came on and the door ajar light was flashing on and off. This became a real nuisance when it happened after dark. I then did some reading from a post on this site and decided to take the panel off the rear lift gate and investigate. i fond a wire that was worn and the insulation rubbed off. I replaced the bad section then re-insulated. This seemed to work fine, for a couple weeks, then the light showed up again. I re-checked my repair and it looked fine. The door ajar light wasn't showing, maybe my wiggling the connection I made did something? Probably not, but it appeared that maybe it was fixed...It wasn't, and this became another random on again off again thing...
Also the anti theft alarm would start going off in the middle of the night waking us up and probably waking a few neighbors as well. I would grab the key fob, go toward the door getting in range reset the alarm. I did this a few times before deciding to leave the explorer unlocked, hoping that we could get some sleep.
My wife works 2nd shift and a week or so ago when she got home she told me that the door ajar began flashing and also the interior lights were coming on again...it had only done this once or twice before but not since I 'fixed' the bad wire. we had gone a few weeks without an incident. I told her that I would check it in the morning.
The next morning when I went to check it, the battery was completely drained! I then made arrangements for her to get to work...later I put the battery on my battery charger and started googling and searching for information. I read somewhere on this website that someone with a similar problem was able to disconnect the alarm by unclipping the rear wires and jumping the clips? I tried this but it had no effect either.
in an attempt to isolate or narrow down where the problem may be coming from I rolled all 4 windows down then using the fob 'set' the alarm by locking the doors. I then reached inside and manually unlocked one door at a time and then opened each door after locking and re-setting each time. I found that doing this revealed that when I opened the drivers side front door it Failed to trip the alarm, likewise the rear passenger door did not trip the alarm, but the front passenger and rear drivers door did trigger the alarm...I then pulled the door panels off but didn't find any loose ground wires or anything suspicious.
A buddy of mine said he'd take a look at it. He found that there was a steady 4amp draw that was draining the battery. He then said that the drivers side latch was sticking, so he used some wd40 on it, as well as the other latches and sure enough the 'door ajar' light went out. He was still getting a .035 draw which was acceptible because of the alrm and clock etc...
I brought the explorer home and parked it, locking it and hearing the normal ONE honk. GREAT! BUT 2 hours later the horn began honking and the lights flashing again! The door ajar light is NOT showing but something is still wrong with the anti-theft...hopefully nothing major...I am lost...any suggestions will be very much appreciated!
Everything is stock on he explorer, nothing after market that I am aware of, though I did buy it used...
Is there any chance that I can just eliminate the anti theft? I have been told that this is not possible by a couple people who both say that the starter is tied into the anti theft and makes impossible to isolate...but one person says yes it can be done?
Thanks!

One of the bad spots is the wire harness in the door hinge. Driver door being opened the most. The rubber boot covers them up but alot of door ajar, or windows not working will be from a bad wire at the door hinge. Hope it helps and let us know.

Isnt there a set of wires running over top where the visor that gets pinched causing a similar issue? I had a similar issue a while back where sometimes my lights wouldnt work and it was a wire pinched near my visor because someone was derpy and punched it up into the roof. =/ don't know you'd have to look its been a while. here i am 2 years later still trying to find a stupid blower motor speed controller for not 80 bucks lol...thought the electrical problems were over.

Thanks Everd...but I don't see that as being related. I am about to do the dealership thing. $60 for the anaylsis and afterward it's $110 PER HOUR PLUS PARTS...Yeah....delaying as long as I can...I have tried a few different fixes but so far just a waste of time. I hope it's got nothing to do with the brain, mine or the stupid explorers, lol...

i have that similar alarm issue with my 98 continental, the alarm goes off in the middle of the night or any time of the day, not sure what causes it and just decided to completely turn it off. There are switches that the alarm uses in both front and rear of the car, for the explorer I guess you could start with the hood switch, disconnecting it will disable the alarm.

https://www.facebook.com/diylincoln...6063382133124/746063115466484/?type=3&theater

Back