Newbie has an appointment to buy his first explorer tomorrow, a little help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie has an appointment to buy his first explorer tomorrow, a little help!

Further clarity request, is it 12,000 Uraguay pesos? or USD? Apparently same monetary symbol ($) is used.
Further clarity request, is it 12,000 Uraguay pesos? or USD? Apparently same monetary symbol ($) is used.
US dollars

B1DD1022-6D83-43F4-85C9-278C6F297067.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, just wow. Is it that Explorers are rare/high demand in Uruguay (or in your city) or are trucks/cars very expensive generally?
Hi, they’re expensive. All of them, as motorcycles.
I’ve just closed the deal with the guy for U$S 9500.
Is an expensive country $&@?#% !!!!!!
A good point for the explorer is that parts are cheap un USA.

033E6407-86F3-474C-ADE0-C36A9BE5BE2B.jpeg

9500. Wow
These trucks are up in value

Welcome!!

Congratulations on the purchase!

@fabianoliver Congratulations! One more Explorer in the family!

Let us know what you do with it, and perhaps start a thread to show your repairs and any modifications you do - some paths are well-used, but some are new each time!

@fabianoliver Congratulations! One more Explorer in the family!

Let us know what you do with it, and perhaps start a thread to show your repairs and any modifications you do - some paths are well-used, but some are new each time!
Txs Dint!
Very happy with the purchase, in a week I’ll have it with me , so I’ll start a thread with pics.
Thanks for the support!

fyi, looked at the photos of post #5. It looks as though you may have an anti theft module installed. I see an alarm horn mounted by the cruise control servo.

That is a vacuum actuated valve that diverts coolant from your heater core. I think it's only diverting coolant when the AC is on max or vent. It is inexpensive and easy to replace. If your heater core is bad, that's also fairly easy to replace. There are I think four screws holding a panel attached to the heater box directly under the glove box. The heater core is held in place by friction and the panel. Remove the panel, pull the core out. You can bypass the diverter and still use the heater core by attaching the heater hose to the heater core. I suspect since they have bypassed both of those they have both failed. Make sure the vacuum line attached to the diverter is still there because it will cause a small vacuum leak if its not there.

That is a vacuum actuated valve that diverts coolant from your heater core. I think it's only diverting coolant when the AC is on max or vent. It is inexpensive and easy to replace. If your heater core is bad, that's also fairly easy to replace. There are I think four screws holding a panel attached to the heater box directly under the glove box. The heater core is held in place by friction and the panel. Remove the panel, pull the core out. You can bypass the diverter and still use the heater core by attaching the heater hose to the heater core. I suspect since they have bypassed both of those they have both failed. Make sure the vacuum line attached to the diverter is still there because it will cause a small vacuum leak if its not there.
Thanks BK, I’m just learning how the explorer works, i just bought the Haynes, it will take a week to arrive. I’ll check all the vacuum lines cause I read some can crack.
The truck has the AC compressor disconnected to be repaired, and I don’t understand yet the path AC hoses takes..

congratulations on the purchase!!!! hope it lasts for many years! and wow, thats one expensive explorer!

As for door panels you can use second generation. I did this in my 92. The wiring can be a pain, some of the diagrams I have didn't match my wires color codes. I went with trial & error til the door worked. 2nd gen panels here are easy to find here & are a good option. They fit with only wiring modifications for the switches.

On one of my 94's, I bought some new handles to fix the original panels.They weren't expensive, like $ 39 online. I want to say 1A auto, don't remember where I bought them. The quality is good but it takes patience to change just the handles. My panels were cracked and I made aluminum strips to epoxy over the cracks. Sanding down to clean material is important if you epoxy. I used slow setting. These panels were fixed probably 6 months ago and I still haven't installed them, I'm sure they'll work better than the originals when I put them in.

Getting your heater core re-connected will be an easy one for you, the part is not hard to find. Change fluids in your transmission, transfer case & axles. You'll see the vent connection & know what to do, very simple. As was said, learn how to seal the transmission to stop leaking. My Ranger has the 5 speed manual transmission, I went with Valvoline synthetic and it helped smooth it out but synthetic, for some reason leaks out easier. It's worth it.

0707210952a_HDR.jpg 0707210952b_HDR.jpg 0707210952c_HDR.jpg 0724211753_HDR.jpg 0707210952_HDR.jpg 0724211753b_HDR.jpg 0724211753a_HDR.jpg

As for door panels you can use second generation. I did this in my 92. The wiring can be a pain, some of the diagrams I have didn't match my wires color codes. I went with trial & error til the door worked. 2nd gen panels here are easy to find here & are a good option. They fit with only wiring modifications for the switches.

On one of my 94's, I bought some new handles to fix the original panels.They weren't expensive, like $ 39 online. I want to say 1A auto, don't remember where I bought them. The quality is good but it takes patience to change just the handles. My panels were cracked and I made aluminum strips to epoxy over the cracks. Sanding down to clean material is important if you epoxy. I used slow setting. These panels were fixed probably 6 months ago and I still haven't installed them, I'm sure they'll work better than the originals when I put them in.

Getting your heater core re-connected will be an easy one for you, the part is not hard to find. Change fluids in your transmission, transfer case & axles. You'll see the vent connection & know what to do, very simple. As was said, learn how to seal the transmission to stop leaking. My Ranger has the 5 speed manual transmission, I went with Valvoline synthetic and it helped smooth it out but synthetic, for some reason leaks out easier. It's worth it.

View attachment 432641 View attachment 432642 View attachment 432643 View attachment 432644 View attachment 432645 View attachment 432646 View attachment 432647
Thanks X for your detailed explanation, very good tip on the aluminium strip. next wednesday, i'll have the truck and i'll be able to look on detail the doors pnels, and to build a "strategy" to recover them. Thanks!!!

Back