Newbie just got a 95 XLT, need appearance advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie just got a 95 XLT, need appearance advice

BobbyBobo

Reaction score
explorer-466x350.jpg

That's not her, but that's what she looks like. She's a bit plain, so maybe she needs the equivalent of a make-over :) I'm basically open to any ideas and opinions of what can make it look better.

My thoughts are maybe a front bumper like my buddy has on his 2000. Maybe a grill of some sort. It has stock 15" wheels, so maybe later model 16's or even aftermarket wheels. Not sure if the fender flares/foot rails like an EB model has could be added without a lot of hassle.

What parts can be interchanged from nicer and/or newer models would be good info to know. There's a local junkyard with lots of Explorers to get parts from, so I will go hunting ;) Thanks for any thoughts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both you and I have like 40 views and not one hello so I'll be the one that atleast welcomes you to the forum (I just signed up btw) hello and welcome

explorer-466x350.jpg

My thoughts are maybe a front bumper like my buddy has on his 2000. Maybe a grill of some sort. It has stock 15" wheels, so maybe later model 16's or even aftermarket wheels. Not sure if the fender flares/foot rails like an EB model has could be added without a lot of hassle.

The newer style front bumper bolts right on, as well as the newer explorer wheels. You could even swap the rear hatch, lights and bumper to the new style if you want the "updated" look. Throw badges on from a 3rd gen ex.

Willcall did a little updating to his ex, similar to what you mention: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321007

Thanks Sport97! Sounds like I'll have no problems upgrading here :D

Yep. You could paint the gray grill piece to match, or find a white one that already does.

Yep. You could paint the gray grill piece to match, or find a white one that already does.

The "chrome" is flaking off mine, I thought about having it painted white which looks better to me. I'll check the local junkyard and see what they have to offer first.

I love those Edge wheels in the thread you linked me. I'm going to look for those too since I like the subtle upgrade of a nicer factory wheel.

If you're going to paint it, find a painted grille, will paint and hold much nicer than a painted chrome grille.

If you're looking, I have a painted grille hanging in the garage that I will never use. It's blue though, you could get some Oxford White paint and spray it.

it all depends on what you want to do. do you want a off road truck, or a street truck. i took street. click on my registry if you want more ideas.

Thought I had already posted this, but now I don't see it.

So before I go to the junkyard, I want to make sure a newer "curvy" liftgate will bolt right up to my 95. Not sure exatly what years these go through...maybe 97+? I think that would be another nice appearance upgrade :)

Thought I had already posted this, but now I don't see it.

So before I go to the junkyard, I want to make sure a newer "curvy" liftgate will bolt right up to my 95. Not sure exatly what years these go through...maybe 97+? I think that would be another nice appearance upgrade :)

The "curvy" liftgate starts from 98+...I believe it bolts right up (someone correct me if i'm wrong :)), but you would have to change the taillights to the ones that go with that liftgate style as well.

Crazy thing is someone has replaced the rear tailights WITH the appropriate light from the "curvy" style lift gate lol. Not sure why they did that, but they are like new so that's a plus.

Welcome to the forum, peel that nasty pinstripe for starters! LOL

Pinstripe removal was the first thing I did lol. Looks so much better imo. Did a little touchup paint on a few spots today, and when done carefully, it turned out decent. Oxford White is probably an easier color to match. Going to polish it tomorrow and see how much that helps.

I am really debating lowering with lower profile tires (it is 2wd). Nothing drastic. Not sure what's considered the "best" way to lower it, and also not sure how the speedo would or even if it could be corrected.

I'm addicted to Mustangs and mods, but Explorers are probably going to grow on me also now :D

My junkyard trips have only netted me a white grill. The newer front bumper (98-02?) is really what I want most, like in this link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321007

I'm trying to figure out if I can buy it new on-line if I have to, but I'm confused as to how to get the whole assembly. Is 2 pieces? 3 pieces? I'm seeing bumper covers and reinforcements, but I don't see the chrome outer piece with the foglights.

I also have a trim paint question. On the rear quarters, above the chrome piece that matches up with the rear bumper is a small, grey trim piece. Mine is badly faded. Is it possible to paint this with some trim paint? I'd also like to paint the trim piece below the windshield...should just be able to pop off, clean, and spray right?

Thanks again guys!

That front bumper is from a 99-01 4 door XLT, it's the same one that's on my truck. The appearance of it (like chrome inserts or fog lights) depends on what trim level the truck it came from is. I know with those chrome inserts that they are separate pieces and they either clip or screw into the bumper (not 100% sure how they mount, I've never taken mine off). The fog lights are also separate, and they bolt into the bumper, so if you were ordering one new you'd have to order them too, I know rockauto.com sells them, and I believe they sell new bumpers/chrome pieces as well. To sum up, the main piece of the bumper is just one piece, the chrome and fog lights are separate.

As for those trim pieces, you can just take them off and spray paint them with some kind of paint for plastic trim, mine are all faded too...it's on my list :)

Thanks for the info Meangreen! :thumbsup:

Painted some trim pieces tonight. Fixing the little things adds up to a lot in the end. Gonna try and find some trim paint for the plastic pieces tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem :thumbsup: post some pictures when you're done painting everything!

Back