Newbie Question (1994 Explorer XLT) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie Question (1994 Explorer XLT)

cdwright

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I'm a couple weeks old here and found that this site is extremely useful. I guess I am still learning optimum search methods so I don't ask questions repeated elsewhere. However, I purchased a 1994 Explorer mainly for two reasons. One, it was a deal too good to be true....and the other is I have always wanted to own a truck but know nothing about them.

The person who owned this truck was a used auto buyers dream come true. Kept the truck in flawless condition. He averaged 9,000 miles a year. However, I have a question concerning the engine.

Does anyone know if this 4.0 Liter 6 Cylinder engine has a timing belt that needs to be changed or does it use a timing chain?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has a chain. I think the only trucks with belts are the Asian crap.

I'm assuming it is a pushrod engine? In that case it has a chain which should still be fine after only 100k miles. The SOHC engine has a chain and tensioner.

agallant said:
It has a chain. I think the only trucks with belts are the Asian crap.

WHEW!!! Thanks....those are so much better to maintain

Yep these are pushrod motors

honestly i wouldnt even worry about the motor, is it an auto or 5-speed tranny?

ive tran 176k miles on my 92 and have had no major engine problems. Just keep up with it, the normal 3k oil change is always good.

probably the biggest problem i had is my 5speed craped out on me this past month. It wasnt even that big of a deal, the shifter got jammed, but there was some kinda problem with a bearing in there or something since the thing wouldnt quit whining

Wudup yo word said:
Yep these are pushrod motors

honestly i wouldnt even worry about the motor, is it an auto or 5-speed tranny?

ive tran 176k miles on my 92 and have had no major engine problems. Just keep up with it, the normal 3k oil change is always good.

probably the biggest problem i had is my 5speed craped out on me this past month. It wasnt even that big of a deal, the shifter got jammed, but there was some kinda problem with a bearing in there or something since the thing wouldnt quit whining

It's an Automatic. Some of the tranny stories are legendary here...but to tell you the truth most of what I've seen is using these 4.0 Liter engines and doing too much towing and/or off roading without religously changing and/or checking the tranny fluid. I admit I don't know a lot about trucks but that was something I learned from someone else's experience. Also, with transmissions you can take the dip stick out and smell the fluid on it to see if it has a burning smell. That's a good way to keep track of when you need to change it. I am still planning to change my transmission fluid for piece of mind and won't be doing any towing. Then crossing my fingers...LOL. Like I said, these trannys failing are legendary.

cdwright said:
Then crossing my fingers...LOL. Like I said, these trannys failing are legendary.

With the 93 and 94 trucks, Ford upgraded the trans, making it more reliable, so at least you've got that going for you.

Rhett said:
With the 93 and 94 trucks, Ford upgraded the trans, making it more reliable, so at least you've got that going for you.

That's Great!!! Didn't know that....appreciate the info

Back