nitrous cam, and in-car cam swap info thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nitrous cam, and in-car cam swap info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 35-306-8 sitting in a closet in a bedroom new in box. If you want it, its yours for $100+shipping. Dual pattern boost/nitrous cam, 2000-6000 rpm band.

James, I'm still interested. I'm gonna call comp cams tomarrow and see what stall would I need and if I have to notch the pistons.

Glad to see you've stepped into the world of engines Expo. To start, if you'll really going to nitrous, go with a dual pattern cam. But the thing is, the bigger you go lift wise, the higher stall you will have to get to take advatage of the power. Also, if it's too big you'll have vacuum issues with the brakes, but this can be fixed by a aftermarket vacuum booster. Comp cams have a very good reputation. If I dont get one, it will be a custom then. You can leave the motor into swap the cam, but you might have some clearance issues since youre lowered. Yes, the springs will have to be upgraded. It says you have 1.6 rockers, good start. If you're gonna be running nitrous a good bit, I'd upgrade the valves so I wouldn't burn them up. For mild cams you don't need a reburn, but with a larger one Apten can handle it. With all the upgrades I'm going for, I'm gonna be doing ALOT of reburns. Don't really know where to save money unless you look on eBay. But don't skimp around on the top end of the engine. It's gonna take some money to make it run good and you don't want to worry about being an hour from home and a spring decides it's got other plans. As for books, Summit racing has a book and movie that an old friend bought and he said it was helpful. But im not really sure, as I wasn't a driver then

have a completely new plan

also- choppin you came across as a little condescending there. maybe its the internet, but i wouldn't answer your questions like that if you asked a question about anything other than engine stuff

Expo, didnt mean to sound condescending at ALL. I'm not that type of person. Honestly, I was just trying to help. I certainly wouldn't go in depth with some newbie who I didn't think was serious about it all.

If you're going with 24 lb injectors, I'd do the 255 swap. I read an article in MM & FF about the TRUE measurements on the the pumps. You have to have the perfect voltage/pressure to pull it off the highest reading. If you wanna pull the full 100 shot, I might go with 36 lb. injects.

hey, no problem at all

we're all set

james- that means that one will work nicely with the stock tq converter correct?

hell, i'll just take it either way. if you bought it for your truck, you know what your doing. someone tell me its wrong, or i'm gonna buy it. I didn't get the greatest impression from the guy at comp who told me to get the other one instead.

i'm officially calling dibs

also, i need another set of 1.6s now. my cam is going in my little cousins truck fo sho. you have em james? what about springs? do i need to do em?

one more question- do i use the same in tank fuel pump as the 87-93 stands and 94-95 cobras... i bet i do, but want to make srue...

ya'll are driving me nuts. i need to know the answers, lol. i'm pretty dang excited about this crap i guess.

expo5.0 said:
james- that means that one will work nicely with the stock tq converter correct?

hell, i'll just take it either way. if you bought it for your truck, you know what your doing. someone tell me its wrong, or i'm gonna buy it. I didn't get the greatest impression from the guy at comp who told me to get the other one instead.

i'm officially calling dibs

also, i need another set of 1.6s now. my cam is going in my little cousins truck fo sho. you have em james? what about springs? do i need to do em?

one more question- do i use the same in tank fuel pump as the 87-93 stands and 94-95 cobras... i bet i do, but want to make srue...
1- Itll work okay with the stock converter, but you will want some stall eventually. Stall is what will make the rig fly off the line at the track. The cam i have is pretty lumpy so it would be a good idea to get a converter.

2- I dont have anything to go with the cam... i sold everything else. You will need new springs (986-16). The cam is recommended to run with 1.6 rockers.

3- Your X has the same style intank pump as the mustangs. You can run any of the various aftermarket intank pumps. Go big.... no sense in dropping the tank unless you throw a 255 in it IMHO.

Something to think about- you will need to have someone check piston to valve clearance on this cam. I know in a stang it'll work..... but i honestly dont know in an explorer. Worse case scenario is you will need to clearance the pistons. Its not a big a deal as it sounds.... there are kits on the market that let you do this with the motor assembled. That other cam the guy at Comp recommended you is really big and would be REALLY close on the valves. It would also suck donkey balls with stock heads and no stall. The one i have is a bit more "mid-rangy" and i think would work better in an explorer.

james- i'll do it. and try to figure out the answer to the piston to valve clearance. let me know where to send money. I will be running stock torque probably indefinitely. don't care enough about getting off the line to necessarily make it worth the cost, but either way if it will run for now without it i'm happy. i take that back, expect to see a new converter about 6 weeks after i install all this.

i decided to do the nitrous last week and have the kit, new pump (255 walbro), and the cam (from you) already on their way to me so who am i to say i won't do the converter too.

i have one more important question though- can i use stock valve covers properly with the 1.6 RRs? i know mine are stock as is, but i'm not sure what was done to them to make it fit. i keep getting conflicting reports on this one. like i said i'll actually be doing cam swaps in 2 explorers now, so i need to know how to make em work on a stock one too.

Paypal is jamest45acp@cableone.net..... make it $110 and it should cover shipping.

On the 1.6's....... the stock rockers are 1.6 ratio but the aftermarket ones are beefier and evedently there isnt much clearance under the explorer covers. Section525 was the one who had clearance issues, but only on one rocker (i think). From what i remember, he tapped a little "clearance dent" and it worked fine.

sounds good, shouldn't be any trouble then to make em fit for my cousin.

how important to swap to aftermarket ones for him?

Not that important. They are nice, but not needed.

is there a cheap and easy place/way to buy any gaskets/specialty tools we'll need?

James, i'm really sorry. i'm out on the cam. i'm having one custom ground locally, along with some other goodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back