NO 3rd GEAR...WTF?? 00 Explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NO 3rd GEAR...WTF?? 00 Explorer 5.0

FPGT24

Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers
Reaction score
City, State
Taneytown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
just picked up a 00 explorer 5.0 with 150k from auction the other night. i got burned. paid $1,500 for it only to pull out of the lot to discover the transmission is fried. no 3rd gear at all. the shift from 1st to 2nd is very rough it jolts you forward in the seat, and instead of trying to shift into 3rd, it will hold 2nd for a very long time and then eventually "shift" into 3rd, which doesnt seem to exist. It slowly slips out of 2nd and into 3rd, which seems to be neutral. The engine RPM's shoot up slowly as its slipping out of 2nd and into the non existent 3rd.

What could this be? Why is there no 3rd gear? Please tell me its something simple and nothing major. I cannot afford to lose $600-$800. I already lost $600 on a 00 Explorer XLT SOHC that the timing chains went on me back in the summer and i have a 97 Explorer XLT SOHC that the timing chains are ready to go on :'(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quite simply, the tranmission needs to be rebuilt/replaced. If you know how to do it yourself you should be able to find a transmission from a JY for under $500. I picked up one about 16 months ago with 78K for $400.

With that being said, if you're looking to flip the car you could still probably get $2500-$3000 retail for it after the transmission repair.

i dont know how to do repair work. is something broken inside the trans?

First and foremost check the fluid level - it may be low causing it to not shift properly, though if it was driven much lacking fluid it will be fried anyway. Mechanically these are repairs inside the transmission which require removing it from the truck. As mentioned, it is possible to rebuild but just as often its cheaper to swap a used one. Isn't too bad so long as you take your time. Use a decent floor service jack (not those 2-ton cheapies, though it can be made to work) and jack stands, no cinder blocks - you are dealing with heavy pieces of metal. There are good write ups if you do a search.

First and foremost check the fluid level - it may be low causing it to not shift properly, though if it was driven much lacking fluid it will be fried anyway. Mechanically these are repairs inside the transmission which require removing it from the truck. As mentioned, it is possible to rebuild but just as often its cheaper to swap a used one. Isn't too bad so long as you take your time. Use a decent floor service jack (not those 2-ton cheapies, though it can be made to work) and jack stands, no cinder blocks - you are dealing with heavy pieces of metal. There are good write ups if you do a search.

can you link me to the writeup please, im not very familiar with this forum

Discovered something weird a few mins ago. It will hold 2nd gear permanently if i turn the overdrive off while the selector is in drive. Turn the overdrive back on when it would normally be shifting into 3rd, and then it does shift into the non existent 3rd, which is neutral. Turn overdrive back off, and it immediately kicks back down and holds 2nd. I'm thinking either the ECU is ####ed, a valve solenoid is ####ed, or a shift solenoid is ####ed. I dont think this trans is fried.

???

if the solenoids failed you would get a CEL for the transmission code indicating a failed circuit condition. you can cross your fingers and start replacing solenoids but they go for $100 a pop.

if you cant do the work yourself, youre looking at 1500 rebuild.

there is no CEL or O/D light flashing

if the solenoids failed you would get a CEL for the transmission code indicating a failed circuit condition. you can cross your fingers and start replacing solenoids but they go for $100 a pop.

if you cant do the work yourself, youre looking at 1500 rebuild.

i assume that since there is no O/D light flashing and no CEL, that means the trans is def toast? the truck was used for towing from what i can see. heavy towing.

with all the thousands of people on here, and you cannot even get a reply? wow.

and how do you know that there is no CEL?

Ah... but lots of tranny codes DON'T cause PCM CEL codes.... you need to have those looked for with a reader that can get at them.... then you are likely to find some answers to your problems.

If it was my truck I would pull the valve body apart, check accumulator pistons, gaskets and clean it up. I bet at the least your 2-3 accumulator spring is broken into many pieces. You can get valve body gaskets and filter from the dealer for under $40. Its a lot cheaper than a total rebuild, may or may not fix your issue though.

Ah... but lots of tranny codes DON'T cause PCM CEL codes.... you need to have those looked for with a reader that can get at them.... then you are likely to find some answers to your problems.

do you know if Advance Auto has one of those scanners that they'd scan the codes for free? or is that only CEL codes?

If it was my truck I would pull the valve body apart, check accumulator pistons, gaskets and clean it up. I bet at the least your 2-3 accumulator spring is broken into many pieces. You can get valve body gaskets and filter from the dealer for under $40. Its a lot cheaper than a total rebuild, may or may not fix your issue though.

I have no clue how to do repairs. Im a car dealer but I know nothing about working on cars. i was hoping it was going to be a simple issue like a bad ECU or something but apparently its not.

do you know if Advance Auto has one of those scanners that they'd scan the codes for free? or is that only CEL codes?

I doubt it... probably only a good tranny shop or ford dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back