No A/C always hot air

willrappold24

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
No A/C always hot air

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Limited with the V8 5.0L. I have no A/C and no matter what you put the thermostat on its nothing but hot air. I tried to put more A/C refregerant in to recharge it and the 5 cans i put in it wasn't enough to kick the compressor on. Do you think the compressor is bad or is it some other componet that runs the A/C? All the fuses are fine to. :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before adding any more refrigerant or hurting yourself, have the system at least checked by a mechanic. If you put 5 cans in and nothing happened, you may have one of many problems. A mechanic should at least point you in the right direction.

5 cans? Did you read the information on the information sticker? The system takes 1lb 14oz. That's just short of 2 cans. How in the world did you even manage to get 5 cans in, unless it's pissing it back to?.?.?.?

Ummmm... You need to check the psi of the compressor #1... Most cans have a psi gauge on them... I'm not the expert... But I believe the psi should ve around 150 max??? Can someone confirm??? If you put in 5 cans you have to have a leak... You physically cannot pressurize the compressor more than the can...so you likely have a leak somewhere. My other question (assuming no leak) is "is the compressor turning on" if not, then I'd start with the relay, then a/c clutch... But it sounds like a leak since you went through 5 cans

Well the compressor never turned on so if its the relay where is that located? We last tried to put a/c refregerant in it last year and i don't rember the psi. But even during the winter i have no control of how hot the heat is with the thermostat so i was thinking some sensor or something went bad.

I bet the heater control valve has gone bad. It uses engine vacuum to operate an actuator the valve in the line going to the heater core. The valve is controlled by the panel inside the vehicle.

If it is stuck open, it will allow full coolant flow through the heater core no matter what you do. Take a look under the hood and look for the valve in the heater hose right above the AC box (pass side just in front of firewall). There should be a thin vacuum hose (often gray in color) connected to it. You should be able to manually open or close the valve. by pushing the mechanism.

It is also possible that the EATC panel has become defective.

Back