No A/C at idle

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
Ugh.

My folks and borther are in town for the holiday, we are in the warmest weather of the year so far, and my A/C doesn't cool when the Explorer is at idle. Once we start moving, it will cool but still not great, even on MAX A/C.

I've read about folks having fan problems and am wondering if that is my most likely problem or if it is a resistor, condensor, or? I know I need to get under the hood for some more diagnostic info but it is way past bedtime.

And the dealer can't get me in until the 12th...

So I am hoping for an easy fix when I wake up in the morning. A bit like Christmas. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need your entire fan assembly replaced, in the meantime, be extremeley careful not getting stuck in traffic as your ex might overheat. I would find a dealership that can see you sooner.

I just checked under the hood. There are two fans and neither one is spinning even with the engine hot form my wife running errands and the AC set to Max A/C and the temperature well into the upper 80's.

If anyone has a by-pass solution to get those fans spinning I'd love to hear it!

Go to the dealership. It's a botched fan assembly that you need to replace ASAP or you'll overheat your car. Lots of people have had this issue.

Sorry for the bad news, but like everyone is saying, the entire fan assembly needs replaced. Unfortunately, I have been hearing the assembly is on a national backorder though. Mine went out this week and luckily I pushed enough to have my dealer find one at another local dealership to have replaced. They tried ordering from Michigan and were not able to get it. I had the same issue cool when accelerating, hot when idle.

I had the exact same problem, took to dealership, fixed in one day. Thank God they had the fan in stock. Working better now. Good thing, it was 111 degrees in Dallas on 7/25/11.

Back