• Register Today It's free!

No brake lights

NanaD

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
So, I am new here and looking for help. None of my brake lights are working on my 2002 Explorer XLT. I have replaced the bulbs and the Brake Light Switch and it has not helped. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram or a fuse box diagram that I can print out to see about tracing the wiring to attempt to find a possible wiring issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my only car and driving without any brake lights scares the poop out me.

Thank you all in advance,
Donna

On a single lamp system such as what the Explorer has It could be the turn signal switch as well as the 4 way flasher switches as the brake light function has to be removed from each lamp when they are required to flash. Maybe sit in the vehicle with the foot on the brake pedal and have someone watch the rear lights. Turn the 4 ways on and off a few times to see if at any time the brake lights function after been turned off. Play with the turn signal switch as well while monitoring the lights to see if at any time the opposite light comes on and stays on. The center brake light over the rear hatch operates directly from the brake pedal switch so I would verify that the bulb is working as this is not effected by the pre-mentioned switches. The fuse for these lights is #23 in the central fuse box under the dash. Also check at the brake pedal switch to see if there is power there. If no issues are found here I would then check wiring and ground connections. Assuming that the running lights are working it would appear that the ground connections for the rear lights are fine. If you do find a blown fuse it is often from corroded connections such as at the rear trailer connection point. Good luck!

Check your owner's manual for fuse location/purposes. If you don't have it, google it an download it.

Back