No CEL light on 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No CEL light on 94

disaac55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am working on a friends 94 explorer that won't pass smog due to the fact that when you first turn the key, the CEL (check engine light) does not turn on. I took out the bulb and it is fine. The car seems to be running fine and no codes pop up when I scan them. All the fuses are good. Any ideas???

did you replace the bulb by takeing off the front bezel and pulling it out that way ?? because if you did you may have had the same thing happen to me ...when i bought my explorer some of the dash lights were gone so i replaced them all by the method i described before (pull them out then out new ones directly in ..needle nose pliers with tape on the ends) ...put it all back together and had two still out .ended up haveing to take the dash cluster all the way out because on the back of the cluster is basiclly a big pc board...the sockets the bulbs fit into can easilly get mis-aligned and not make contact properlly..the two that were out the twist socket got moved so it was not getting any voltage...problem solved .

when you took the bulb out ( knowing that it was not lighting up (((could have have been a bad contact))) but when you put it back you did what i described ..so you still had no voltage at the bulb cause of the twisted socket holder)

hope this helps

Thanks, that was exactly the problem. Now hopefully it will pass smog.

Back