• Register Today It's free!

No dash lights, no hvac, help?

4x4Build

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XL
First time posting, spend most my time searching but I can't figure this out. I have a 1999 OHV Ford Explorer, full base model. Currently my dash lights, hvac, window switch lights, 4x4/wiper switch lights and od/4x4 high/low lights aren't working. My warning lights and blinkers work perfectly fine but nothing else.

Recently I changed my hvac controls to red LED's as well as wiring in red LED's for the dash trim lighting, all which successfully worked. I also changed my dash lights to white LED's, and tested all bulbs. Afterwards, I pulled the cluster to remove the green film and paint red, and drove around a bit during the process. After the cluster was pulled my hvac and other lights stopped working, which I assumed was because the cluster was out. I continued to use the truck and my alternator failed. Replaced the alternator and later found out it wasn't working due to the cluster not "exciting" the alternator, as I ended up reading about. My cluster is back in now, and my alternator is working as it should but none of my interior lighting is, still completely dark. Only my stereo (aftermarket) is illuminating, possibly because it's lighting is controlled by the power wire and no dimmer wires.

Headlight switch works fine to light the headlights, so I'm ruling that out. Dimmer switch does turn interior and cargo lights on and off, so possibly still good there. Map lights work, read somewhere that if those were faulty it could all be tied together, and all fuses have been checked and look good.

My guess is it's the dimmer switch relay? Possibly the electrical issues brought on by the dying truck caused something to go weird, but I'm unsure where that's located and if it's the problem. I wonder if I can also possibly have a short from the work I did but I'm unsure, connections look good.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry about the long backstory but i wanted to give as much information as possible.

I replaced all instrument cluster related fuses and still nothing. I replaced mini fuse 11, and interior fuses 11,15,25 and 33. Anyone have ideas?

Back