No dash lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No dash lights

tomfl60

Reaction score
i just purchased a 1997 Mercury mountaineer and discoverd i have no dash lights ,but the warning lights come on when ign, is turned on . radio lights come on , checked fuse #25 and fuse #11 Both ok .anyone have any other ideas what the problem could be ? thanks for your help
tomfl60

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the rear window defrost switch, fog lamp switch, rear wiper switch, and HVAC control switches all illuminate? If so it is likely that the six instrument cluster illumination bulbs have just burned out. Those switches and the illumination bulbs share the same power and ground wires.

Here is a writeup on how to remove the dash to access the bulbs: link. There are six illumination bulbs of type 194 held in place by the black sockets seen in the backside picture. I recommend replacing them with Sylvania 194 LL (long life) bulbs if you aren't converting them to LEDs.

Could it be as simple as the dash light dimmer switch is turned all the way to off?

Yes it could, but I hope that would have been checked prior to posting.

The only lights i have in the interior are the radio all work , and the dome lights , nothing else works even the door window control button are out. I did check fuses and light dimmer . thanks
tomfl60

Do your exterior park lamps come on when you place the headlamp switch in the PARK or HEAD positions (any position besides OFF)? The dash lights are tied to the park lamps on purpose to let you know when they go out. I suspect your dimmer switch is going bad or that the Red/Black wire which connects to it is loose.

The exterior parking lights work when the switch is on ,rear lights also work . Thanks
tomfl60

With that information given I do think your Dimmer switch is bad. Or possibly the Red/Black wire which plugs into it.

Back