• Register Today It's free!

No Headlights!! :)

OllieDixon

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Yesterday one of my head lights went out. Fair enough. The daytime running lights still worked as well as high beams. Today both lights are out and the running lights to. High beams work but the light on the dash showing you they are on doesn't come on. After a while the dash light comes on and then the daytime lights work... but when you turn them off the processes repeats .. any ideas? lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try to play with the light switch? Could be that your switch has gone bad internally.

If you mean the one on the dash yea i did. Had to drive to work today with my brights on :( hehe

Mine does not have DRLs. But maybe there is a different fused power source for your headlights/running lights and your DRLs maybe? Could your headlight fuse be blown and possibly your DRLs turn on through another fuse? Just posing a question. I keep meaning to buy a Ford Service Manual for my EX, but I never think about it until I actually need to fix something. From what I see in my manual this could be the case. Maybe the headlight that blew out shorted and blew the fuse. And to clarify, when you say your DRLs come on...does that actually mean both lights? Just wondering cause it affects my blown headlight theory...

yea both DRLs worked when they worked. I should mention that it has been raining pretty much non stop for a week.. maybe something got wet?. I honestly haven't even checked my fuses lol. Be to busy.

yea both DRLs worked when they worked. I should mention that it has been raining pretty much non stop for a week.. maybe something got wet?. I honestly haven't even checked my fuses lol. Be to busy.

It could be that something has gotten wet. The factory alarm on my 94 use to go off for no reason when it rained here. It would even go off when I was actually driving. First is disabled the horn until I figured out I just needed to unplug one thing in the back to disable the alarm completely.

But I am pretty sure now that you may have to send your explorer in to be worked on. But then again it could be something simple.

Well, just from what I can see on my manual schematics, your headlights are fused from your interior fuse panel and your DRLs run from a fuse in your Power Dist Box under the hood. These darn Haynes manual Schematics are so bad. Makes me appreciate the ones we use to work on planes.
Maybe something did get wet and blew the headlight fuse. Hope this ends up being the prob...nice simple and CHEAP fix! Keeping it from doing it again may be more expensive.

Back