• Register Today It's free!

No heat, just AC

2talll

Reaction score
City, State
Ansonia, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I tried turning on the heat in my 99 X sport today and it only blew cold air. It was working Saturday when I had to defrost the windows- now even the defrost is blowing cold air. Tried turning all the knobs, nothing but cold air from the AC.

Any ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for posts on the blender door.... it is a good candidate for your problem symptoms.

Is there a way to be sure that is the problem without taking the car apart? If that's the problem, I'll take an afternoon off from work to have my brother do the repair for it but if it's something else that'll I'll need to get it fixed by someone else, then I'd rather not take time off from work.

I'm really starting to hate this ride! Rear wiper won't work half the time, driver side door lock sticks half the time so I have to go around the passenger side to unlock the car, and now this. UGH!

Most of the threads I've seen on the blend door say it's a problem with 95-98 X's only- had the problem been fixed for the 99's?

Ok... I am sorry about sending you to the "blender door problem"..... of course, there needs to be more trouble shooting to eliminate other things. So first off, ensure that your temperature setting is in the red only on your controls. Choose venting that is only to your feet. This ensures that air conditioning is not working as some setting actuate both (ie. "head and foot", and defog). Anyways, next check to see if you air condition compressor is on (ie. clutch has operated). If it has, then there is another problem cause it shouldn't be on. If it is off and you are still getting cool, then it is likely only outside air and it is not being heated. It is then likely that your heater water valve is not operated for some reason. It is vacuum operated (I think... if I remember right). ... need more info on symptoms / observations. Hope it helps you further.

You lost me on the cluth has operated part, lol. I'm a moron when it comes to cars- that's why I have my brother.

I think my best bet would be to see if my brother can look it (cheapest way) or bring it into a garage (definitely not the ford dealership.....long story about them being incompetent morons) to have them fully check it. If it is the blend door, the fix where you go in through the glovebox doesn't seem too hard, so I'm sure he can do that. If it's something else, he could probably do it. Especially if it would involve removing the dashboard- I'm not paying near a grand to have someone else do that- and my parents will get on him to do it for me if he's too lazy to want to do it.

I'm guessing it is the door though. I've searched this baord and another Ford board for heat/ac issues and each and every thread comes to the door being stuck/broken. Just wish there was an easy way to get to it- like through the stereo hole since my stereo comes out really easy and it's only 15 bucks to get the replacement harness for it if that breaks. Ford is so retarted when it comes to designing things like this- make it easy to get to things!!!!

Back