• Register Today It's free!

No heat!!

89LSC4ME

Reaction score
City, State
Stoney Creek, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hey guys......On my 96 the heat has slowly gotten cooler and cooler and this week the heat has all but gone!! Started last year actually but me being the procrastinator, well you get the picture!! It was mentioned to me last year it sounds like the heater core is plugged, well I was out in the snow today and flushed the core with my garden hose and it sure don't seem blocked to me. It seems to me that the hose closest the pass side was warmer than the other also can't remember which but one rad hose was warm the other not so warm. I did do a thermostat last year with no change. I have tried to read some posts on heat but never really found anything that fits!! Seen alot about blend doors and vavles!! In the cab when I switch to A/C it does change to cold A/C air if that helps? Any thoughts and or ideas what to check next? Gets kinda cold here in the morn with no heat. For the first time I'm actually glad when I arrive at work!!!!! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the regulator for the heat or thermostat.

does the blend door work?

I wil check the regulator in the daylight. It is the vacuum(spelling?) operated thingy attached to the hoses before the heater core? And when the temp lever is moved it should move right? As far as blend door when I move the lever to change air position to feet, vent, defrost I can here something moving and the air path changes as it should. Is this the blend door working correct? If these items are right and working I will do the statt.

Hey guys......On my 96 the heat has slowly gotten cooler and cooler and this week the heat has all but gone!! Started last year actually but me being the procrastinator, well you get the picture!! It was mentioned to me last year it sounds like the heater core is plugged, well I was out in the snow today and flushed the core with my garden hose and it sure don't seem blocked to me. It seems to me that the hose closest the pass side was warmer than the other also can't remember which but one rad hose was warm the other not so warm. I did do a thermostat last year with no change. I have tried to read some posts on heat but never really found anything that fits!! Seen alot about blend doors and vavles!! In the cab when I switch to A/C it does change to cold A/C air if that helps? Any thoughts and or ideas what to check next? Gets kinda cold here in the morn with no heat. For the first time I'm actually glad when I arrive at work!!!!! Thanks

It may be something else, but different temp hoses is not a good sign.

Sounds thermostat-ish to me, what does the temp gauge say? Got plenty of antifreeeze right?

I do have full coolant/antifreeze...I have flushed the core with my garden hose from both spigots with good flow from both. I did forget to mention that my temp gauge is at the coldest it will go!! I'm going out right now to check the regulator and if it works change the t-stat. I will post my findings. I do appreciate all the help though!!!

Ok I was just checking the heat regulator thingy and I don't think it is working!! I ran the truck for 5 min or so and had my daughter turn the temp control dial from hot to cold and back again slowly. The plunger did not move!! So I removed the vac line from it put a spitball on it and had her turn the dial again, it did not suck the spit in. Guess that means the vac line is not working. Still the hoses are luke warm at best so I think I have 2 issues going on. Vac line and possible t-stat. Does this make sense to anyone? What do I have to do to trace or fix the vac line?

Well there ya go!! I went ahead and changed the t-stat while waiting a reply. I now declare defeat!! it was the stat I now have heat lots and lots of glorious heat. I would have bet the farm it was not the stat, boy I woulda lost big!!! Thanks for all the help guys. Now I only have 2 things left the notorious front end wobble at 100+klms, and the door locks unlocking but not locking!! I'll get the front end checked out in a week or 2 when time permits, the locks can wait. Thanks again.

Have not looked as the heat is working!!

Back