No heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No heat

sherlockbonez

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mountaineer
Hey guys long time lurker finally posting.

I have a 2001 mountaineer v8 awd

went in for an oil change at the local shop and upon inspection noticed I had a small leak coming from my thermostat housing. They replaced the gasket and replaced the thermostat while they were at it. Cool.

I drove off and noticed while driving on the freeway that my temp gauge never changed from cold. My car never heated up. I turned the heater on and no heat. I took it back to the shop they said they would look at it because that wasn't right. I get a phone call saying my coolant temp sensor was bad. okay fine... they order the part and so it the next day. I get a phone call saying that's not the problem and it sounds like a wire is shorted. They are gnna have their electrician look at it tomorrow.

You guys have any thoughts?

essentially I'm having all thsee problems due to a simple gasket replacement. Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Precisely why I prefer to do it myself, "pros" can't do a simple gasket repair without ham fisting something. Did they test the sensor? Did they test the harness for signal? Or are they chucking parts at it (on your dime)? Go elsewhere, I'm serious about this. Also check for air, I believe certain Explorer engines need "burping".

They messed up something with the thermostat -- or perhaps even forgot to put one in the housing. Which of the two temperature sensors they found bad? One will only affect the gauge; the other will make the engine run bad -- but neither will affect heating.

Hey guys long time lurker finally posting.
I have a 2001 mountaineer v8 awd
went in for an oil change at the local shop and upon inspection noticed I had a small leak coming from my thermostat housing. They replaced the gasket and replaced the thermostat while they were at it. Cool.
I drove off and noticed while driving on the freeway that my temp gauge never changed from cold. My car never heated up. I turned the heater on and no heat. I took it back to the shop they said they would look at it because that wasn't right. I get a phone call saying my coolant temp sensor was bad. okay fine... they order the part and so it the next day. I get a phone call saying that's not the problem and it sounds like a wire is shorted. They are gnna have their electrician look at it tomorrow.
You guys have any thoughts?
essentially I'm having all thsee problems due to a simple gasket replacement. Thanks for any advice.

No heat means you have air in your cooling system. Bleed the system thats it.

So they said it was the coolant temperature switch. They replaced it. Had the electrician look at it. Said it was the wrong switch put the right one in. I picked it up before they closed and drove it home. what do ya know my Guage barely moves. when the car just starts the temp needle is way below the cold and after 10 to 15 minutes the needle gets maybe a centimeter or two past the cold line. I'm gonna have to go back Monday morning.

They said they bled the lines and made sure no air was in it. I'll go back in and let them know they can pay for another shop to look at it.

It was coolant temperature switch.

They replaced it again because the electrician said they had the wrong one. so they put the right one in and same problem no heat. No change in temp gauge. When the engine starts up the needle is well below cold and after 10 to 15 minutes it gets to be maybe 1 to 2 centimeters past the cold line

It was coolant temperature switch.

They replaced it again because the electrician said they had the wrong one. so they put the right one in and same problem no heat. No change in temp gauge. When the engine starts up the needle is well below cold and after 10 to 15 minutes it gets to be maybe 1 to 2 centimeters past the cold line

Let's clear something up. Do you indeed have heat but the temp gauge isn't working?

you may have heat, but the dash gauge will not move off cold unless you have at least 160 degrees of coolant temp. Take it back to whoever changed your thermostat. maybe they installed the wrong thermostat (s/b 192-195 degree). maybe the thermostat they installed is defective and stuck open. maybe they didn't reconnect the gauge sender. in any case, you paid them to do a job and they f'ed it up. make them fix it.

Back