• Register Today It's free!

no high beams

journey50

Reaction score
City, State
queens county morgue
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport 4x4
my 99 sport had high beams yesterday but today when i click them on the lights go out all together, every light stays on but the high beam bulbs go cold? any one know what would cause this to happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pull the handle BACK to kick both low and high's on, do they still cut off?

If so, I'd check relay.

If not and the low's stay on, might be dead high beam fillaments

when i pull back the high beams go out, and when i push it to high beams it also goes out, where is the relay located at?

check your fuses (interior fuse panel).... on my 96 reference (all I got), the highs are fed on a different fuse than the lows. Otherwise, there is a possibility that your MFS is bad. I don't think there is a relay in this circuit. There is a daytime running module which affects your highs also.

I have the same problem my high beams on the left side just go dim when I pull or push the lever for the highbeams. Any luck on fixing this problem. Where or what should I do?

check your fuses (interior fuse panel).... on my 96 reference (all I got), the highs are fed on a different fuse than the lows. Otherwise, there is a possibility that your MFS is bad. I don't think there is a relay in this circuit. There is a daytime running module which affects your highs also.

I replaced the Multi function switch the one that controls the blinkers, wipers high brights and I still have the same problem any suggestions?

do you have a daytime running lights option??? next you need to state exactly what is happening as you have indicated.... "I have the same thing" which the previous poster said was that their lights (both?) go out.... then you go on to say "your left goes dim".... that's not the same thing. Also, do you have "normal lights" (ie. lows).

Sorry,
I dont know if i have the DRL feature, I do know that there is a fuse in the fuse box where it says DRL in the owners manual.
When I put my lights on all works as it should except there is the Highbeam signal in the instument cluster that is slightly lit up. When I put on my highbeams only the right highbeam works. I have replaced both light bulbs with new ones, I have replaced the MFS the one that works for the blinkers,wipers etc... My problem still exist that my left highbeam doesnt light up bright enough while the right is fine. Has anybody had this problem before. I have also checked all the fuse and they are good.

Thanks for the clear description.... I think that helps alot. So back to the DRL's... If your lights come on when you start your truck (without touching your head light switch), then you have DRL option. Actually, based on your most recent description, I would say that is your problem... the module which is behind the driver side front fendor (by the light) is bust... just unplug it and your problem may go away... I hope... :)

Thanks for the clear description.... I think that helps alot. So back to the DRL's... If your lights come on when you start your truck (without touching your head light switch), then you have DRL option. Actually, based on your most recent description, I would say that is your problem... the module which is behind the driver side front fendor (by the light) is bust... just unplug it and your problem may go away... I hope... :)

Do you know what it looks like so I dont unplug the wrong thing

It a little box with "heat fins" and one connector plug. You get at from underneath and its your "only choice" in the area.

If the relay isn't where budwich described, it's probably in the fuse/relay box under the hood. Its a black plastic rectangular box on driver's side close to fender. Look in your owner's manual under Fuses and Relays for location of the DRL relay. There are several relays in the box and they look similar.

Back