98 Explorer No High Beams Problem

bullseye1951

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
98 Explorer XLT 4X4 - No high beams
I've read thru many threads here and other places about this.

Pulled and checked every fuse - all good inside and out.
Not sure if there are any relays to check - or how to check them.

Replaced both headlamp bulbs.

Replaced MFS switch with a new BorgWarner from O'Reilly
The wires and harness all looked good - no burn spots or cut wires.

Low beams and fogs, wiper/washer, hazards, turn signals work fine.
Push the stem for high beams and nada - lows go off.
Pull for high beam flash and nada.

I'm at a loss as to what else to check. I do not have a volt/ohm meter but do have a 12v test light. I'm presuming there is a problem now somewhere between the MFS and headlamp but unsure where or how to check.

Help please.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for voltage at the lights with your handy multimeter, if no voltage, then either the ground, unlikely because both high and low beam share a common ground. Or there is a problem on the switched side, I know the the multifunction switch commonly fails due to age and wear.

no relay unless you have autolamps option. Check for voltage coming into the mfs switch for the highs AND then leaving when the highs are selected. After that follow the wire if possible to the headlights... tough but that's probably what it will take.

As mentioned I installed a new MFS

What is "auto headlamps"?
The Off position on my headlight switch lets them come on automatically so is that considered auto headlamps?

Auto headlamps is controlled by a sliding switch on the bottom of the rearview mirror. If you see a little green light come on there, it means the sensor has detected a low enough level of light to activate the auto headlamps. If that switch is all the way to the left, that is the off position. The further it slides to the right controls the how long the headlights stay on for after the vehicle is turned off. I owned mine for a few years before I ever figured that out, haha.

Auto headlamps is controlled by a sliding switch on the bottom of the rearview mirror. ...

Ok, mine has auto lamps. There is a sensor on front part of the rearview mirror and a delay slide switch on the side facing the driver.

One thing I noticed is that the lights always stayed on for a long time when turning truck off - even tho the delay was set all the way to the left (minimum delay or possibly off).

Presuming the fuses, bulbs, light switch and MFS are all good -
now the question is how does autolamps fit into the equation of No high beams?

Cant see how the autolamps fit into the problem with only his not working.

Had this same problem on a voyager. replaced mfs and bulbs still did not work.(Funny thing is Haynes and Chiltons did not show a MFS on this model) Got some new light connectors and wired them in, problem solved.

Were both hi beams not working when you replaced the bulbs? How do the bulb connectors look?

how auto lights came into the equation... the OP asked if there was a relay. There is NO relay involved in explorer's "normal" / standard lighting systems BUT there is a relay in the system when auto lamps option is put in the truck. As to why his head light (brights), don't work, as suggested, check for voltage coming in and leaving the MFS switch when the brights are selected, that will likely tell you something.... whether your switch is new or not, its got nothing to do with it... the voltage doesn't know that ... :)

There's always the possibility that the new MFS is defective.

Does anyone have the wiring schematic for the MFS - there are 2 sets of harness connectors that plug into it so I need to know which connector is supplying power into the MFS.

I checked the connectors at the headlamps and they both looked good with no corrosion.

Of the 2 harness connectors on the MFS does anyone know which is power IN and power OUT?

I'm a 3rd Gen guy, but willing to help out if I can. Here are the wiring diagrams for the 2000 Auto Lamps. I don't know if they are relevant to the '98. The farthest back I go with shop manuals/diagrams is 2000. Let me know if you need anything else, or the diagrams for the MFS.

Sorry about the size of the pics, but I wanted you to be able to read them.

Here is the Auto Lamps:

2000AutoLamps1.gif

2000AutoLamps2.gif

2000AutoLamps3.gif

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Thanks Rondo
If you have and can post the diagram for the MFS showing both wiring harnesses that would be great.

This link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45028330/98 Explorer headlights-autolamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf will take you to the headlight wiring diagram for a 98 Explorer in my Public folder in my Dropbox account.

It's a pdf file which can be opened with Adobe PDF Reader. Most people have it installed and if not it's free from www.adobe.com

Looking at the diagram the autolamps system malfunctioning wouldn't kill just the high beams. Autolamps controls the headlamp relay. If autolamps wasn't energizing that relay neither high nor low beam would work.

Switching to Hi beam should turn off low beam which it does on your truck so the problem is somewhere between the Gry/Org stripe wire on the MFS and the headlamp grounds, if the MFS is good.

Possibly fuse 33 (15 A) in the instrument panel fuse box. If the dash High beam indicator comes on that fuse, and the MFS, are OK and the problem is at or after splice S111. I've no idea where that splice point is actually located, my manual doesn't give that info.

If the dash High beam indicator doesn't come on you MAY have a new but bad MFS. Check for power at the Gry/Org wire at the MFS with the headlights on and High selected. If you have power there the MFS is OK and you're back to tracing wiring from the Gry/Org wire on the MFS, through the fuse, to the headlight high beam filaments and to ground.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Rondo
If you have and can post the diagram for the MFS showing both wiring harnesses that would be great.

I'll see what I can do as far as getting some more info to you tonight when I get home.

Great source for wiring diagrams - will help you greatly in chasing electrical issues. I for one will still bet on the MFS or associated connectors. Good luck.

Back