No MFT / trouble prone electronic crap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No MFT / trouble prone electronic crap?

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
Ok, I have a question. I'm not in the market for a new vehicle at this time, but I am curious about something.
It seems to me that all this "entertainment" crap, whether it's Ford/GM/foreign/etc.... all just seems like a bunch of trouble prone unnecessary junk that will eventually send many modern cars to the junkyard long before they will be mechanically worn out.

For example, lets say Ford replaces this MFT system with something new in a few years. Now, fast forward to the point that your 2013 Explorer (or Focus,Taurus, or whatever) is now just a 150k mile 15 year old used car. Mechanically, it may still have another 50-75k of life left in it, assuming proper maintenance. However just imagine that your fancy touchscreen gadget, that happens to occupy a huge chunk of dash real estate as well as controlling a number of critical vehicle functions, has stopped working. At this point, it would be highly unlikely that Ford would still offer new replacements, at any price, let alone at an economically feasible one. What do you do? Sure the junkyard is a possibility, for the physical chunk of hardware, but I'm assuming you can;t just plug in one of these units from one vehicle to another with out dealer ($$$$$) reprogramming. This also assumes that there are units in good condition still available used.
I know, you're going to say "no problem. The aftermarket will step in like they do with any other part". Well, I doubt it. There is very little "interchangeability" with specialized electronics. I don;t see it being economically feasible for the aftermarket to develop and produce replacements for proprietary vehicle electronics like MFT. Of course, I also highly doubt Ford would give them access to the software/source code, even 15-20 years later.

If I were to find myself in the market for a new car, I would absolutely refuse to purchase a vehicle that came with all this built in add-on crap. No touchscreen HVAC controls, no built in subscription based navigation (maybe, if it came with absolutely contractually guaranteed perpetual functionality- even if the manuf. went out of business/bankrupt,etc..),etc... If it were a GM, I would refuse On-Star, or anything similar from another manuf. Why? Well, they've already abandoned the early generation of On-Star, leaving certain older GM's with a non-functioning hunk of hardware that taunts the owner with it's presence every time they get in the vehicle. No matter how much you're willing to pay, it is never going to be able to function again. I can see similar situations becoming more common as the whole in-vehicle electronics "craze" matures; as more and more older systems are abandoned and left with no support.

So, my question is this:
Is it possible to order, say a 2013 Explorer (or Taurus, etc...) with a complete "delete" of all MFT-type systems. In other words, traditional cable/vacum operated HVAC controls, "traditonal" DIN/Double-DIN radio which is independent of any other vehicle system, "normal" power locking system with no more than a standard key-fob remote, perhaps old-school remote start, and no "phone-home" on-board diagnostic that send emails/texts to you/Ford, or anybody else,etc.... Basically, early 2000's level of technology.

While it is not quite related, I would also be very leery of anything with a drive-by-wire throttle, or traction/ stability controls that can't be completely, permanently (unless I choose to reactivate it) , 100% disabled

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This should be interesting :popcorn:

You might as well be looking for a brand new off the showroom floor, carbureted, non-catalytic downdraft straight six with no power steering, crank windows, windwings and a full size spare tire, too. Don't forget your desert water bag...

Ummm, good luck with that.

You might as well be looking for a brand new off the showroom floor, carbureted, non-catalytic downdraft straight six with no power steering, crank windows, windwings and a full size spare tire, too. Don't forget your desert water bag...

Ummm, good luck with that.

No. I'm not opposed to technology, in general. In fact, I think much of it is useful. What I am opposed to is a.) being "forced" to buy all the "extra" crap that does nothing for actual vehicle performance/functionality. and b.) integrated "info-tainment" "gee-gaws" that can't be easily removed/replaced when they fail.
Navigation systems? Fine. Just make sure it's an add-on, not something that is an integrated non-removable part of the car; especially if its subscription based, and something the manufacturer or "service provider" can decide to make obsolete and non-functional at any point down the road. Radio? Of course I want a nice one. Again, just make sure, in 10-15 years, when the oem one fails, I can go buy a $50 walwart replacement, if I so choose, and just plug it in. (or a $300 Sony/JVC/Blaupunkt/whatever). The point is to have choices/options.

As for things like "park assist"; sorry but if you need that, get the hell off the road because you're a lousy driver. Warning systems and backup cameras are ok, but nothing that takes actual control of the car should be allowed. If you can't park, you can't (and shouldn't) drive.

The same idea of "choices" applies to option packages. I just went to the Ford configurator. It looks like the closest I could get would be a base model with the 100A. It would actually meet most of my requirements above, except, it still has "MyFord", and some sort of touchscreen, the radio is a weird proprietary configuration that can't be replaced with a standard DIN radio, and it has multiple airbags I wouldn't want (side/curtain,etc.. - I don't want anything but front airbags). Not to mention the traction/stability control, as well as other systems that communicate with the outside world (such as the SOS thing that automatically calls 911- I don't want a vehicle that CALLS anyone, ever)

Now the SPORT is nice, at least the V6 EcoBoost and paddle shifted trans, as well as the suspension upgrades. BUT, they cram all the other crap down your throat, including all the electronic bull I wouldn't want, such as SYNC, electronic climate control,etc... Also it seems that it is impossible to get cloth seats with a Sport. Why? For that matter, why can;t you pay extra for leather in a base model?

The Adaptive Cruise Control looks neat. I would probably want that, EXCEPT again, they "force" you to take the whole 402a package, or no adaptive cruise?????? What does voice activated navigation and Sirius XM/power liftgate/bush button start/etc... have to do with adding adaptive cruise? Same goes for trying to just add the heated/cooled perforated seats, they still want to cram the whole package down your your throat.

The BLIS system also seems interesting. Again, they force you to take a seemingly unrelated upgrade, by forcing inflatable rear seatbelts. Again, how can those two things be so interconnected that you can't have one with out the other?

For that matter, why can't you buy a "base model", no options, and just add the 3.5L-V6 eco-boost, paddle shift trans, and Sport suspension? After all, the whole idea of "sport" is go fast and handle well; not load it down with a bunch of "luxury" crap

The bottom line is you should be able to pick and choose / mix and match any available parts, in any combination , so you can buy what YOU want, not what THEY want to sell to maximize profits. ... Like the old COPO cars, where you could "have it your way".

I feel your pain. I do. I have stuff on my Edge that I didn't want, either.

I clearly remember in 1965 my parents went to Wray Bros. Ford on Van Nuys Blvd. and sat at the desk and ordered a Fastback Mustang by ticking off the desired options on an order (build?) sheet. We had to wait six weeks for delivery and ended up with the wrong exterior color. We could have waited another six weeks for another build, but we took the car as it was delivered. (the car I learned to drive in...:D )

Unfortunately, in today's world, the automotive industry does not function in that manner. In those days you could have got a blue car with a red interior if you wanted. These days, the manufacturing floor is so streamlined that it cannot accomodate the extra time and labor to execute a single copy car. Unless the public is willing to pay the upcharge on a car's sticker price across the board on all units produced to modify the production line and quality control methods, a custom order is from a bygone era.

When the obsolescence factor of electronic stuff becomes prevalent and an aftermarket can be profitable, replacements/repairs/updates will become available, IMO.

Back