• Register Today It's free!

No oil pressure reading

ssorone

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger 4x4 4.0L
Ok so i got up this a.m. And drove down the road, noticed my oil pressure was 0. Pulled over turned off and restarted same thing. Drove back home listening very carefully and all the sudden it jumped up to normal pressure. My guess is either the sending unit or the guage... Anyone have this trouble and which one was it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try pulling the wire off the sending unit and touch it to ground, see if the gauge works. I gotta say, this worked for older cars, I guess the same can work for newer vehicles.

Disconnect the sending unit and put the key on "contact" (don't start it). If the gauge shows "good" pressure while grounded, means that it is working correctly.
To get to the sending unit is tricky - remove driver side wheel, liner and you need to reach deep with your hand towards the oil filter.

Sound like your sending unit. They do wear out eventually and it sounds like your's is sticking. Fairly cheap to replace and an easy fix.

Mine does that too when it drops below 0*F out. The oil gauge usually pops up/light goes out after the first good bump. It's the sending unit, and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. It's been doing it for at least 2 winters (maybe 3) and no problems.

re

i picked up a sending unit, but I havnt found the damn thing on the block yet. above someone posted that it was near oil filter on drivers side. my oil filter is on pass. side......

Oh, on V8 is on drivers side. Same on a 4.0L OHV. Didn't say that you have a SOHC V6.
On V8 5.0L:
P1020184.png

I have this exact same problem. From the time I crank it in the morning until I drive about a half mile it says no pressure. Then it all of a sudden shoots up. I'm guessing when it warms up it figures it out. It has been doing this for a little over a year now. I just started trying to figure out how to fix it.

Post some pics or give me some advice if you fix yours please.

How do you get through all those pipes and lines? It is pretty hard to get to... Any tips?

if you can see it clearly , a socket will too, just use enough extensions to reach it,,

Remove the A/C conduit bracket (1 bolt) to give you a little more room.
Extensions. 13/16" deep socket worked for me.

Back